I have been taking Lansoprazole 15mg for acid reflux due...

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have been taking Lansoprazole 15mg for acid reflux due to a hiatus hernia with very good results and no ill effects for quite some time. Three months ago my GP changed these to Omeprazole 10mg with the result that the acid is no longer controlled, I have constant problems with pains from trapped wind in my chest, I feel tired all the time and have no energy and have developed a cough that keeps me awake at night due to the acid reflux.

[i:1e03145db7]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:1e03145db7]

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi there,

I also have a Hiatus hernia, diagnosed just over 1 year ago.

Up to recently it has been fine, but I was taking 20mg of omeprazole daily.

I do not suffer too much from heartburn( burning in the chest) , but do get quote a bit of nausea.

The GP told me to up the dosage to 40mg a day taken at night for a period to see if that helped symptoms.

I do find diet is important and now eat a lot more salad type foods for ease of digestion and also probiotic yogurt with breakfast. Most mornings I feel nauseous after eating, and sometimes take Motilium which seems to help that.

I am 39 and have asked about the operation, as my life like many sufferers has changed for the worse, especially from a social perspective. The Doctors advise me it is not an operation to go into lightly, so I would be interested to hear from anyone who has taken the operation route and the outcome.

What I am really struggling with is the fact that my hernia would seem to be getting worse in a short space of time??

Great site and comments.

• Posted

My mum is 96 and has just had a visit from GP for a whole range of problems, one of which is burping/hiatus hernia.

He has just prescribed 15mg Lansoprazole, so I am off to chemist to get it shortly.

It is good to hear you found it worked so well and I will try and keep you posted re results.

I specifically asked him if there were any side effects and he said no, so again good to hear you concur. Obviously at 96 sometimes the side effects can be worse than the benefits and I have learnt to ask this vital question over the years.

• Posted

I have been taking Omeprazole 20mg per day for six months and it has been a revelation. It's not without its side effects (more wind!) but it has made a huge difference. I think when a lot of people start worrying/complaining about the side-effects they are forgetting how bad life with reflux was. I now sleep through the night and can eat pretty much anything, anytime with no issues. More importantly I am hopefully preventing any further damage to my oesophagus.

The only thing I have noticed is that for me, taking the 20mg last thing at night works the best (although the PIL recommends taking the dose in the morning).

I know people who have had the op and after a brief respite the problems return so I'll be sticking with the medication.

• Posted

I have been told that taking in last thing at night is the best option by the GP. I actually get a lot of bloating from this drug which is quite uncomfortable and embarrasing. Does anyone know if any of the other PPI is better from that viewpoint.

Also does anyone find that they can tolerate small amounts of alcohol at weekends, as this condition has sure put my social life on hold...

Thanks for the comments..

D

• Posted

Hi Dave1973,

Don't know about the bloating - I've never tried Lansoprazole as Omeprazole works for me.

I can drink alcohol as long as I don't overdo it. Red wine is my drink of choice and in moderation causes no issues. I do still find that beer can bring back the reflux though so I avoid this. I don't drink spirits and I don't think they would be very good for your insides if you also suffer from reflux!

• Posted

Hi, do have the operation had mine done 2 years ago and very pleased. Consultant tried to put me off as they dont want you to take up time and your be on there waiting list went back to my Doctor told me and told him what they had said,his reply was( tipical have it done) im not good at emails but i will try and tell you what happens.

Its keyhole surgery

2 nights in hosptal

Bad wind for a few days

What ever you do dont try and eat solids terrible pain this last for about 3mths chips are a nono

Your feel tired after you have food but this doesnt last long about 3 mths

I had it done as i got older it got worse food was coming up in the middle of the night hence choking on vomit.

Hope this helps you to decide.

Regards

• Posted

Hi Smartie2,

Great to have found this site and trade symptoms and chat..

I actually take Omeprazole also but get a lot of bloating.

Do you normally double up on the drugs when having a drink, or still the same quantity?

Also I had an experience of a vomiting/ reaching sensation recently after a dinner/ social occasion, but on drinking lots of water and a run the symptoms subsided. This was a frightening experience I must say as I thought part of the stomach had herniated into the Oesaphagus. I was told by a Doc that the volume of water pulls the stomach back into normal position should that happen.

Funny, I was told that my hernia was a small one, but with the experience above, I am not so sure now.

Have you ever experienced that, or nausea which lasts a day or two? I take motillium when that occurs.

Thanks for sharing..

Regards,

Dave

• Posted

Hi Smartie,

Have you seen any other good sites for this topic?

Rgds,

Dave

• Posted

Hi Dave,

I think that the best thing to do is try and put the matter out of your mind as much as possible. i think that it's possible to become a bit oversensitive to every 'stomach related' incident and over-analyse the possible causes.

Bottom line for me is that the drug does the job, I don't play around with the dosage and I just get on with my life.

By the way - cheese and chocolate, especially if eaten late at night (say after a dinner party) wreak havoc with my digestion so I avoid these and just stick to the wine!

• Posted

Omeprazole best for me
  • Posted

Many thanks for the feedback Symba, appreciate the insight.

Rgds,

Dave

• Posted

YVW Dave

Regards Simba

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.