I have high RBC count .

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi ,

I am 17 years male . Weight 75 kgs . Height 180 cms . In july i had chest pains and difficulty in breathing . On investigation , i had high blood pressure and ecg showed up tachycardia . My cardiologist ordered an echo test And the report was normal . So he concluded that it was all due to anxiety and put me on Vinicor D 25 and Solopose plus . Now , my blood pressure and pulse rate remains normal at home but at doctor's office i have palpitations , dizziness and sweaty palms . Few Months back i had a blood test and it showed high uric acid level (8.5) ., elevatec alkaline phosphatase(168) and elevated hematological reports . Plz help. I don't want to die soon . Here are the hematological reports

Total RBC : 6.94. (Range 4.5 -5.5)

Hemoglobin 15.3

Mean Copsular Volume 74.6

Mean Copsular Haemoglobin 22

Mean Corp. Hemo. Conc. 29.5

Red cell distribution width. 18

Platlet Distribution Width. 17.6

Mean platlet volume. 12.5

Platlet to large cell ratio. 46.6

Plz. Help

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Your readings do not seem to synchronise with those normally used with Polycythemia.   If you had this disorder you would need to be examined by a Haematologist and undergo certain tests before a diagnosis would be offered.

PV is a very rare and incurable blood disorder which currently although not curable but can quite effectively be treated.  I cannot really see anything in the readings you offer that suggest you have PV.  High uric acid indicates a predisposition to gout which can be associated with PV but does not usually present a wide difficulty.  Gout can be effectively treated with drugs.  PV is the result of a defective gene at birth that causes an overproduction by the bone marrow of red cells.   I feel your symptoms seem more related to the cardiac question than than with PV.  You would not wish to be diagnosed with this disorder and I sincerely hope it is not affecting you for not only can it be uncomfortable but is a long-term undertaking.  Blood pressure is generally not a consideration with PV.   Maybe your consultant is correct when he suspects your anxiety may be playing a part in your problem.  Stop concerning yourself with a short life, you have no cause as I see it so just keep in touch with your doctors and be guided by what they offer.  I am sure that most PV sufferers here will endorse what I suggest.  Best wishes.

• Posted

Thans a lot . Actually i followed up with a hematologist and she advised me for JAK2 Mutation test , Serum EPO , Serum Uric Acid , ultrasound of abdomen and pelvis . and a chest x ray . Though i have high uric acid but still i don't have any symptoms . The cardiac problem has been well managed and palpitations don't occur unless i am much anxious . So what is your opinion regarding this ??

• Posted

Another important information . When i had first blood test , rbc was 6.94 . I week later when i did another blood test at an another lab , rbc was 6.5 . Why so much variation?
    • Posted

I somehow feel you must be in the USA but I reside in UK where we have different methods for analysing  medical details.  You did not mention just what the result of your original PV tests were which I suggest  were made probably prior to the JAK 2 test being conducted.  Generally you will find that it is not so much the red cell count that is so important as that of the white cells.  Other results of  Haematocrit, Haemaglobin, Neutrophils, Platelets are always considered by the Haematologists as important factors in  their calculations.  A JAK2 mutation test is simply to see whether the basic cell has mutated into a more volatile version which will require a different medical approach probably.  It must be realised that the body is not mechanical and that as such variations in recorded information can fluctuate very quickly, not matter what the disorder.  I can understand the abdomen tests which are normal procedures that a haematologist will follow.  High Uric acid can represent gout as I said previously, you will most certainly realise if this affects you with joint pain particularly in the feet.  There is something that I should point out to you in regard to this forum, is that all contributors are known sufferers of PV or one of the other disorders classified in a group known as MPN's.  As far as I know none have medical qualifications but some like myself who have been dealing with the disorder for many years will have gained a great deal of knowledge about the disease and its treatment but that is no substitute for correct professional advice.  I consider it incorrect to offer you any medical diagnoses which should be provided by your own doctors.

I think you may have answered your own question concerning your palpitations.  Frankly, I suspect  that PV is not your problem.

• Posted

Thanks

By the way , I live in India . Plz . Clarify on what do you mean by original pv tests. Also , what does MPN means?

• Posted

The symptoms you describe while visiting your doctor could be down to 'White coat syndrome'

My blood pressure is on the low side but is always much higher when visiting my doctor.

• Posted

r74762

I may get moderated for saying this but you are very young for symptoms of PV which is generally symptom free. Might I suggest that you make a note in your diary to have your RBC count measured in, say, thirty years time!

ItchyChris

• Posted

Hello ItchyChris,

Sometimes the truth is uncomfortable but these things need to be said.  I agree with your sentiments.  This young man has a problem which needs sorting but like you, I don't think it lies with PV or any other MPN.  He must rely upon his doctors more.  Trust you keep well.

Peter.

• Posted

PV tests are those conducted by the Haematologist prior to any diagnosis.  MPN means Myelo Proliferative Neoplasms which includes Polycythemia and several other related disorders of a very similar nature and to which PV may mutate.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.