I’m currently self isolating with symptoms of COVID 19 daughter is being shielded

Posted , 7 users are following.

self isolating as i have symptoms ( fever, cough, discomfort in chest when breathing)

when I return to work supporting people with autism (which is where I am assuming I contracted the illness as they and other staff are displaying symptoms) can I still be at risk of infecting my daughter by bringing the virus home (on clothing etc) even if I may have already had it myself? would it be safe to return there or should I be asking to stay at home until the end of her shielding.? My employer is not furloughing workers and their attitude seems very short sighted. They have made no financial provision for cases such as mine and I am not in a financial position to take unpaid leave but obviously my daughters health takes priority.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Keilee, that's a tough call.

Sure would be nice if we had those antibody tests, so your daughter could be tested to see if she's already had it without symptoms! But we don't have those tests in any volume yet, they're not prioritizing children, and - and the tests aren't necessarily accurate, either.

I presume that you still have some contact with your daughter, and certainly did in the days just before you became symptomatic, so the odds are she's already been exposed - I hope that thought doesn't make you nervous.

As you know, most young kids never show symptoms, or never catch it at all, we're still not sure.

You might continue some extra care even after returning to work, but at this point, unless there are many people at work with overt symptoms (AND no masks!), I would at least consider it. Even a few more days and the overall pattern may improve for everyone, let's hope so.

• Posted

Its better to get tested and check if you are COVID-19 positive or not. Take necessary precautions & wear a mask if you are going to work.

• Posted

In the UK our NHS staff aren't even getting tested, so it is impossible for normal people moment to get tested. It is also near impossible to get genuine disposable PPE masks without extortionate prices.

• Posted

unfortunately in the UK it is not possible to get tested at the moment, although the government have plans to test key workers but no real details as yet. My other daughter who no longer lives with us has been self isolating and is back at work tomorrow. she is most anxious about passing the virus to the women she cares for but has not been offered a test by her NHS trust. its so difficult as currently you only really get tested if you are admitted to hospital. i support people with severe autism. They are often too anxious for any kind of tests so we wont know how many within the unit are infected or not. They are also non verbal so cannot tell you if they feel unwell apart from obvious signs or behaviours. i want to be able to do my job but safely in order to protect my own family

• Posted

Keilee, the symptoms may be down to another respiratory illness, that is the trouble, no one knows. Do you usually get sick pay when you are ill? If not, do you work for an agency or are you on a zero hour contract? You need to find out what your rights are. You can usually find most of this online. If you live in the UK there is website called ACAS which gives advice, I believe there may even be a helpline but it could be very busy at the moment. If you don't live in the UK google "employment rights covid 19" and see what is listed.

To answer your question about the virus being on your clothes, I have heard it is more likely to survive on hard items like shoes, but if you do go out, always have a change of clothes ready when you come in to be safe. The risk of healthy children having complications from this illness are extremely low, some have hardly any symptoms at all, is it at all possible she could have had the virus herself? Or are you not living in the same house as her at the moment? I wish you luck and good health for you and your daughter.

• Posted

You should get tested to know if you have it or not, it could be some other respiratory illness. But it's good that you are self isolating.

• Posted

sorry, i forgot to say my other daughter is a Midwife for NHS and has not been offered testing even after having symptoms and self isolating.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.