I'm one month of Pantoprazole and have constant nausea.

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hello,

After a treatment with PPIs because of ulcers and gastritis, I am now 4 weeks without PPI. After 2 weeks without PPI I have created a constant nausea (24/7). Doctors have examined everything; a new endoscopy, ultrasound, CT scan. Nothing deviant was found. But now I have been nauseous for 2 weeks. Can this still be a withdrawal symptom?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

hi, its sometimes very hard to stop taking PPI meds all of a sudden, your doc should be weaning you off them with low dosage gradual till you feel ok to stop fully.

• Posted

Have you been slowly reducing your dose , think that is the only way , i have been on OMEPRAZOLE for over 20 years and i have decided to at least try to get off them ,i have gastritis but i am trying to sort out a diet that is kind to my stomach so that i can stop taking PPI,s not sure if i can come off them because still get flareups , but i think PPI;s bring there own problems to my health ,good luck stick with it and hopefully your nausea will get better

• Posted

Hi: I won't go into the weaning off PPi drugs since others have mentioned that. Acid blocking drugs alone will not cure ulcers if H Pylori is the cause. It is a nasty bacteria that can be picked up by eating contaminated foods. It requires a 3 drug treatment over a long period of time. Did you have an H. Pylori test? Also, Gastritis is an inflammation of the stomach lining and can take 6 months to a year to go away with treatment and special diet.

• Posted

Assuming the PPI worked, then I agree with those who say you should be weaned off it and not just stop. That said, ideally you don't stop a PPI but you migrate to a different drug that does a similar job, such as ranitidine.

In time you should be weaned off that, BUT many folk, me included have been on such a med for 5 years already with no worrisome side effects.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.