I think Omeprazole is making me crazy!! Help!

Posted , 3 users are following.

It all started when i had a bad indigestion event right after i ate two slices of pizza and a slice of cake. i started feeling the burning sensation in my stomach and the acidic taste and ended up dry heaving an hour later. i immediately felt better after this and the acidic feeling went away. i think this occured because i did lay down immediately after eating this. i then went to urgent care to get checked out and got checked for strep (came out positive surprisingly). i was then given antibiotics and omeprazole(40mg, once a day for 4 weeks) (for my indigestion event). i feel like this is a very large dose to start with especially since i never really had acid reflux problems in the first place and never had trouble eating or drinking before this. i took the omeprazole for about 2 days and then stopped cause i thought i didnt need it. then i got talked into start taking it again and i did it for 5 days straight and i decided to quit again because of the side effects. is this too short of time to have withdrawal effects? i feel very mild acid indigestion sometimes but goes away and this is my 2nd day off the med but my anxiety is so high right now (i never been anxious person before this). all i feel right now is high anxiety, occasional stomach discomfort but not bad, and the front of my neck feels tight or tender. is this from the med? pls help me so i can have hope that i will be normal again soon.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Which antibiotic were you given as some like Cipro or Fluoroquinole should not now be prescribed for conditions like yours

• Posted

hi,

i took omeprazole for 10 years and never had issues with side effects, aside from then when you want to get off you need to taper as PPIs (after long term use, using a few days will not cause you to get rebound or withdrawl effects) should not be used long term and my doc never told me. indigestion and acid reflux can be pretty uncomfortable, your best bet is to watch your diet and youll notice significant improvements and wont need the PPI.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.