I've been in a cast for 3 days and just been woken up to a pain in my knee what should I do

Posted , 2 users are following.

I've been in a above knee cast for 3 days now and I've just woken up to a bad pain in my knee and I have no clue what to do about it any help

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

You don't mention why you have a cast or where the problem is. I'm guessing it's not in your knee. So that makes it difficult to give any kind of advice. 

• Posted

My bad basically I fractured my shin bone and have been placed in a above knee cast n Yh well the pain starts when I lie down
  • Posted

My thinking is that when you lay down, your leg is not above your heart and so it's throbbing. I would suggest that you elevate your leg with some pillows. The idea being that it needs to be above your heart.

It may also just be part of the healing process. When my mother broke her hip years ago the doctor explained that the reason it hurts so badly was because all the muscles were contracting in order to hold the bones together. It was the body's way of healing the bones. Once they put her in traction those muscles relaxed so the pain got better. In a small scale that may be what you're dealing with. It's referred pain coming from the actual break.

Keeping in mind that I am a retired Pest Control technician and business owner, I am not a medical doctor. So I strongly recommend you contact your doctor and ask to confirm that this pain you're feeling when you're laying down is part of the natural healing process.

BTW I broke my ankle in 3 places in February was not allowed to put any weight on it until May. I imagine you're probably in the beginning of the same healing process I was in. It was very hard on me and I'm sure it's going to be very hard on you. The weeks that you have to go without putting weight on it are so difficult. I'm glad that I didn't have to wear a full cast, particularly one above the knee. My orthopedic surgeon put me in a boot that I was able to remove when I showered. I think the boot is also much lighter than an actual cast would be. You'll get through this, just be patient.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.