I've been on Hydroxyurea for a month now and my fingernails are blue, why?

Posted , 4 users are following.

What should I do about my blue fingernails? Could it be that my blood red cells are lacking oxygen?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hello, Giga.

I was diagnosed with PRV after suffering with blue fingernails for a couple of months. It was wintertime and so I put off doing anything about it. Silly me.

I would contact your GP today and mention it. S/he can then advise you about what to do or contact your haematologist on your behalf for a more detailed opinion.

• Posted

I have heard this can happen , what is your dose, I’m  on 2 a day  for the last 4 years with no effects .
    • Posted

I don’t take any drugs. I only have venesections.

I don’t have blue fingers now but, as I say, I did have them before I was diagnosed and given my first venesection. At the time of my diagnosis, my haematocrit was almost 60.

Blue fingernails would seem to indicate that something about Giga’s treatment has not been finetuned but what exactly that is I can’t say.

• Posted

Hi Giga,

Could be that the hydroxy has caused your blood to thicken and presented a circulatory problem in your hands.   In most cases this would probably be cured by using a small dose of soluble aspirin, but if the discolouring has now ceased as seems to be the case maybe things have settled down to a more normal situation.  Hydroxy is a very strong drug that needs medical supervision.  I would very much support what Angela has suggested and discuss your symptoms with the doctors looking after you.   Don't take a chance with your health particularly when dealing with Polycythemia etc.  Your diagnosis is quite recent for this complaint and your treatment will be personally suited to you as an individual but it can take a little while to be effected.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.