I've got 99 problems but Sarcoid ain't one

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi, I am 32 years old and have a myriad of autoimmune issues. It all started 2 years ago when I was running a marathon - I almost didn't finish because I couldn't breathe. After lots of tests and biopsies (and being in ICU for 3 weeks) I was diagnosed with TB.

I went on TB meds for 6 months and had tests done again and my lungs had gotten so much worse. I was fed up by this point so I went to the Mayo Clinic and they did a lot more tests on me - i felt like a lab rat. After all of that I am still un-diagnosed as I am showing signs of multiple autoimmune conditions, but they cannot pinpoint one specifically. I went on a course of steroids which seemed to help my lungs, but i struggled with them as I had heart palpitations and suffered from anxiety and fear of impending doom

I have the following issues/symptoms:

- was diagnosed with Crohn's disease in 2011 (which has subsequently disappeared- very weird) 

- granulomatous inflammation in my lungs (nodules that make me light up like a Christmas tree)

- severe hair loss and inflamed scalp

- weight loss

- itchy skin and itchy eyes (can no longer wear contact lenses)

- chest pain

- anxiety and depression

- thyroid indicators of Graves/Hashimotos (elevated antibodies)

I am not on any medication now because the doctors are just guessing what I have and I dont want to subject myself to the side effects for no reason.

I am constantly stressed about my condition and I dont know if I will just stop breathing in my sleep. I have struggled over these past 2 years, just to come to terms with this all.

I have made drastic lifestyel changes, I have gone gluten free, grain free, dairy free and everything yummy free.

I went to see a Functional Medicine doctor who I have been working with for a year now and he also doesn't know what is going on. I have done gut-healing protocols and I am on a bucket load pf supplements.

The docs basically want me to be on deaths door before I can have a diagnosis, when i tick all their boxes.

I am grateful that I am still able to live a relatively normal life and do things most people can. I am trying so hard to hold onto these moments because I don't know what I have and how long I have. 

Thanks for all your support! 

Yours in health...

Autoimmune girl

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Just fyi, sarcoidosis causes granulomatosis. I would definitely suffer a biopsy to at least have a diagnoses. It took them 20 years to diagnose me, so I totally get your frustration.
    • Posted

Thank you barbara 54291, I have had 3 biopsies already. Not sure how many more I need to go for?

It’s been a hectic and very stressful time for me. I am not who I used to be that’s for sure!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.