I've taken Lansoprozole for 16 years ......

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello, I've taken Lansoprozole for 16 years due to reflux and a hernia. Following an endoscopy in 2000 I was given 15 mg which was increased to 30 mg. Over the years the strength of this medication has been between 15 and 30. I have taken it as prescribed every day. Both my father and brother died from cancer of the esophagus. I recently had a further endoscopy which revealed my hernia was slightly bigger and I had stage 3 ulcers on my esophagus (I believe it goes from stage 1 to 4). The hospital consultant increased the Lansoprozole to 30 twice daily with a further endoscopy in 8 weeks time. I'm hoping the ulcers will have healed by then and left nothing sinister. I know how important it is for me to take these tablets as they could be saving my life, especially at the moment. Although other health problems have come on whilst taking this medication I never made any connection. I've been told my muscles in my lower back, right side have dropped 3 inches and the muscles in my right leg 'have died' also the tendon in my right leg has 'died', together with painful nerves on my right side. I have no strength in my muscles and accepted this as just another condition I suffered from which is very painful and debilitating. I have had two broken feet from two falls over the last 15 years and told I have osteoporosis. I have also been diagnosed with chronic fatigue. In short I've got the worst health problems in my family and extended family, although I have a healthy lifestyle. I just acceped that I didn't hsve good health. I think the muscle weakness is the worst of my problems as this is always limiting and debilitating at times. Since my Lansoprozole was increased a month ago my muscle problems and bones have been worse (if that's possible) and this made me look on the internet to see if anyone else had the same or similar problem/s and I found this really good forum. My biggest problem is muscle weakness and I wonder if anyone else has the same muscle problems as me which also started after taking ppi's. Also problems with bones and/or fatigue once again from commencement of meds. My muscle weakness commenced after 2000 without me making any connection to my meds until it got worse with the increased doze of Lansoprozole. I'm thinking this is a light bulb moment for me as the further weakness coincided with the increased dose. Please let me know if any of you also have muscle weakness and how long you have been on the meds. I know I need to be on these tablets but am thinking although its never been suggested a hernia op might help me. So also let me know if you have had one and if it helps. It would seem a lot of people wish to reduce or stop medication completrly. Please consult your doctor before doing eitherof these things. Hope someone out there can help me because if this is a common symptom I'm going to have to see if an op is the way forward and try and get my life back.

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Thanks Pip, i would push to get off them , i believe the side effects they gave me were not worth the pain train in my particular case. I wish u all the best for the future but do push to get off them if u can. Max

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.