Interferon Treatment

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hello Guys

I was wondering if anyone out there is being treated for their PRV with interferon injections? I was originally told by my Haematologist that I would have to go on to Hydroxycarbamide but the hospital review panel that reviewed my case is saying that I need to go on Interferon because of my age. I am still a “baby” at 53 years of age….well humour me at least…LOL – As I am not 60 years or older they feel that the first line of treatment should be interferon and they want to start me on it soonest as I am apparently at high risk of stroke, pulmonary embolism or heart attack. I should point out I am not overweight, never smoked but do have primary PRV and suffered multiple pulmonary embolisms in 2008. My only concern with going on interferon is that the side effects aren’t pleasant. The Haematologist said I would have to inject myself 3 times a week……..REALLY???....3 times a week? Hydroxycarbamide I think I could tolerate better but the Haematologist and review panel believe that as there is a small risk of transformation to AML if I am put on this too early, interferon is the best option. I am fully aware of the risks where Hydroxycarbamide is concerned, but transformation to AML is small around 3%-5% I believe, and feel it’s a risk I would rather take especially if interferon is going to impact on my quality of life. I have managed my condition so far just with venesections and Clopidogrel but am told this is no longer enough.

Any advice/feedback greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Keith

0 likes, 34 replies

34 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hello Girls and Guys

Well I finally made a decision and ended up choosing to go on the Hydroxycarbamide/Hydroxyurea. The side effects seem more tolerable and vanity also played its part as I was told that although my hair may thin, I won’t lose it completely, which is good to know. I started my first course of tablets yesterday. I should have taken them on the Wednesday but as I wasn’t sure how I would feel after taking the tablets, I decided on a last hurrah at my local pub. Just a couple of pints and some food, nothing to controversial ….LOL. Having said that, I feel fine today but I guess it is early days! – Thanks again for all your feedback and support.

Kind regards

Keith

• Posted

The latest information PV news:

Comparing Treatments for Polycythemia Vera

Ropeginterferon alfa-2b is noninferior to hydroxyurea (HU) when it comes to complete hematologic response to treat PV.

WAYNE KUZNAR ; PUBLISHED: DECEMBER 07, 2016

When it comes to complete hematologic response (CHR) to treat polycythemia vera (PV), ropeginterferon alfa-2b is noninferior to hydroxyurea (HU). In fact, it is safer and more tolerable, according to final results from the phase 3 PROUD-PV study, that showed robust hematologic control with either therapy starting at 12 weeks of treatment, said Heinz Gisslinger, M.D., at the 2016 ASH Annual Meeting.

“Results from this first and largest prospective controlled trial of an interferon in PV confirm previously reported efficacy,” said Gisslinger, for the Medical University of Vienna, Austria. “The observed safety and tolerability profile of ropeginterferon appears to be superior to previously reported data.”

Ropeginterferon alfa-2b is a monopegylated interferon that features every-other-week dosing in the treatment of PV. In the phase 1 PEGINVERA study, ropeginterferon was associated with a hematologic response rate of 60 percent, an overall response rate of about 80 percent, cumulative complete responses in 45 percent to 50 percent, and a reduction in spleen size in most patients.

PV treatment is aimed at managing the long-term risk for disease progression, which approaches 20 percent, and transformation to acute myeloid leukemia/myeloproliferative dysplastic syndrome, which occurs in 3 percent to 10 percent of PV patients, said Gisslinger. Interferons have been used as a treatment for PV since the 1980s, but toxicities such as flu-like symptoms, depression and autoimmune side effects contribute to discontinuation rates in the neighborhood of 25 percent.

The PROUD-PV study was a parallel group multicenter trial conducted in 254 patients diagnosed with PV according to the World Health Organization’s 2008 criteria, who were either naïve to cytoreduction or who had already been treated with HU but were neither intolerant nor complete responders following a treatment duration less than three years. The study was performed at 48 sites in 13 countries.

Patients were randomized to treatment with either ropeginterferon or HU, with the primary endpoint being non-inferiority of ropeginterferon compared with HU at 12 months of therapy on the CHR rate, defined as hematocrit less than 45 percent without phlebotomy (at least three months since last phlebotomy), platelet count less than 400 G/L, leukocyte count less than 10 G/L, and a normal spleen size. Thirty-seven percent of patients in each arm were HU pretreated and the median spleen size was about 13 cm in each arm.

The median plateau dose of ropeginterferon was 450 µg. About one-fourth (25.2 percent) of patients required dose reduction due to adverse events (AEs). The median plateau dose of HU was 1250 mg, and 51.2 percent required dose reduction due to AEs. The 12-month discontinuation rates were 16.5 percent and 12.6 percent in the ropeginterferon and HU arms, respectively.

A CHR on intent-to-treat (ITT) analysis was achieved by 43.1 percent of patients randomized to ropeginterferon and 45.6 percent of patients assigned to HU, which met the criterion for non-inferiority. In the per protocol analysis, CHRs were achieved by 44.3 percent in the ropeginterferon group and 46.5 percent in the HU group.

The inclusion of a return to normal in spleen size in the primary endpoint was a potential confounder, as the median spleen length was close to normal at baseline in both arms. The observed change in median spleen, therefore, in the ITT population in either treatment arm was not clinically relevant (21.3 percent for ropeginterferon vs 27.6 percent for HU).

“The safety and tolerability of ropeginterferon showed benefits over HU,” said Gisslinger. Treatment-related AEs occurred in 75.6 percent of HU patients but only 59.6 percent of the ropeginterferon group. AEs of special interest (including endocrine disorders, psychiatric disorders, cardiac/vascular disorders, tissue disorders) were no more frequent in the ropeginterferon group compared with the HU group.

Throughout the phase 3 program of ropeginterferon, which includes not only the PROUD-PV trial but CONTINUATION-PV as well, which is examining safety and efficacy with three to five years of treatment, no secondary malignancies occurred in the ropeginterferon arm compared with 5 in the HU arm (two acute leukemias, two basal carcinomas and one melanoma).

“The unique disease modification of interferon and its potential to improve progression-free survival hold promise for long-term patient benefit,” with data currently being gathered in CONTINUATION-PV, Gisslinger concluded.

The information implies that you could have made a better choice!!

HU is not a good choice................

• Posted

Hello Lijuan

Unfortunately, Ropeginterferon Alpha-2b is a monopegylated interferon that is not available as “a first line” treatment on the NHS here in the UK. First line is either Hydroxycarbamide or nonpegylated interferon, which requires 3 injections per week as opposed to the pegylated one, which is administered just once a week or every other week. I did speak to my Haematologist about this but he would only prescribe Ropeinterferon Alpha-2b if I did not respond to the other drugs or I suffered adverse side effects. He was quite candid in why it is not commonly used within the NHS, it’s basically down to the cost. Interferon itself is apparently quite costly but pegylated is even dearer. If I do not respond to Hydroxycarbamide, then he would put me on interferon alpha (nonpegylated) and then if this didn’t work, there are other options such as  Ruxolitinib (Jakafi) or others.

With regards to the Hydroxycarbamide, so far so good. My platelets have come down and so far, not really feeling any side effects. So I continue to keep my fingers crossed. Thanks for your response though.

Take care

Kind regards

Keith

• Posted

Hi You can view the latest med information about PV from the 58th ASH Annual Meeting & Exposition.

https://ash.confex.com/ash/2016/webprogram/Paper96208.html

In this study, the new drug(P1101/AOP2014) have lower side effects than HU

and I believe that PV will be Incurable in the furture !!!

Best wishes and be well.

• Posted

Wow, thank you for that. I have to admit that it took three readings for the information to turn into English in my brain, but that is my brain's problem rather than the report's!

incidentally, did you really mean to say that you think that PV will in future be incurable?

• Posted

Hello Lijuan

A belated but sincere thank you for the information you provided. It makes very interesting reading. I went for the HU in the end but have the option to try interferon if I don't get on with the HU. It's early days, I have only been on it for just over a week now although my Haematologist said he will probably increase the dosage next week as he is "easing me in".

Take care

Keith

• Posted

Hello Keith,

Thanks for your reply!

As far as I know, there are no first-line FDA-approved drug treatment for PV. Jakafi(ruxolitinib) and PEGASYS have been approved as second line therapy for PV.

However, neither PEG-Intron, nor HU are approved and are currently used off-label.

"Off-label" means the medication is being used in a manner not specified in the FDA's approved packaging label, or insert. Every prescription drug marketed in the U.S. carries an individual, FDA-approved label. This label is a written report that provides detailed instructions regarding the approved uses and doses, which are based on the results of clinical studies that the drug maker submitted to the FDA.

You may use the Internet as a source of information:

Home / ASH 2016 / Dr Kiladjian at ASH 2016 Reviews Outcomes of MPN Patients after Interferon therapy discontinuation

David Wallace(PV Reporter):

Patient Perspective (author’s note):  Interferon can be a difficult drug to take, due to the side effect profile particularly with increasing dosage.  Conversely, many patients do well on interferon without many side effects.  The introduction of Ropeginterferon alfa 2b (P1101 – a new generation interferon by PharmaEssentia, from the Proud PV study) should provide better response rates, a lower toxicity profile and less frequent dosing.  PharmaEssentia plans to apply for its approval as first line treatment in PV in a number of markets, including the USA.  If approved, it is expected to be the first interferon approved for PV and the only FDA approved first-line treatment for Polycythemia Vera (PV).

The information implies that PV patients could have made a better choice!!

Best wishes

• Posted

Hi Angela,

Yes, I think so. Ropeginterferon alfa-2b, a novel IFNα-2b, induces high response rates with low toxicity in patients with polycythemia vera.

Ropeginterferon alfa-2b can reverse some mutations of our bone marrow damage.

I believe that PV will be Incurable in the furture !!!

Best wishes and be well

• Posted

I believe that PV will be Incurable in the furture !!!

Incurable = not curable. Well, thanks for your honesty anyway. sad

• Posted

Sorry for the  wrong word "incurable"!!

PV will be curable in the future!!

Best wishes and be well

• Posted

Sorry for the  wrong word "incurable"!!

PV will be curable in the future!!

Best wishes and be well

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.