Intermittent Rib Pain GP says its Muscle related

Posted , 3 users are following.

I keep getting intermittent like shooting nerve pain in my ribs. It comes & goes. Sometimes it can on the Right Hand Side and sometimes on the left hand side. Sometimes it on either side but in 12th rib. I have been to see 3 different GP's & they all say its muscular. I dont have acute back pain though. I go the the gym every night & lift weights without a problem, been going for 9 years. I feel fine in myself. No nausea, vomiting. No sweating etc. Appetite OK. What can it be ?? Should I listen to my GP. 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

You don't mention your age but I'm guessing your young. Is there a reason your not believing these 3 GPs? In my opinion it is muscular but that does not mean you should ignore it. It might be a good idea to see a physical therapist a few times just to get a few exercises to help loosen those muscle in that area. The muscles involved are probably in the middle of your back which is why your feeling it on both sides. If you don't go to a physical therapist at least have someone show you some stretches to try to stretch those muscles in your back located right around that those ribs

• Posted

Hi paul24724

Perhaps you should go to your local A & E and get an xray of your ribs incase you may have a small crack or injury through exercising......just as a process of elimination.....best wishes...

• Posted

Hi Lilian

Thanks for the reply. The pain is never constant and is not severe (more a like a hard prod/poke, it comes and goes and from all different areas of the ribs. Can that be a fracture ?? Its weird.

Thanks Paul

• Posted

Hi paul24724

You may be presenting with referred pain coming from the main point of trauma....it may just be a greenstick fracture which is very small...certainly get an xray.....as i previously said to eliminate a fracture...best wishes...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.