IPF Symptoms When Using Pirfenidone

Posted , 3 users are following.

I'm getting mixed messages about change in IPF symptoms such as shortness of breath, coughing and fatigue after a person starts using Pirfenidone.  Some articles say that there is little to no change in these symptoms.  However there a few interviews on the web where people say they have experienced improvement in symptoms when using Pirfenidone.  I was wondering if some of you who have been on the drug for some time could comment?  Thanks!

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Slowly but steadily over four years things have got worse, and I am now very short of breath and on oxygen. But the rate of progress if the disease has been much slower than without the drug.
  • Posted

My partner was on Pirfenidone (esbiet) she was on 9 pills a day. There are a number of side effects, she had tiredness, headache, dizziness, nausea, stomach  upset, heartburn, sensitivity to sunlight, cold symptoms (stuffy or runny nose, sore throat, sneezing), sleep problems (insomnia), The runny nose soon became pnemonia & very short of breathe. She stoppped after speaking to her doctor, which stated that this drug could shorten your lung capacity. Since recovering from the pnemonia, she has not recovered the lung capacity. She is now on 5 lp and anytime she has any exhertion her pulse ox goes down to sometimes in the 60's, this is most of time just walking. I am hoping she will recover & praying.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.