Is Daily Advil Use For Elderly Patient Dangerous?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi,

My mom is 87 years old and suffered a brain bleed stroke 5 years ago.

She broke her hip last year and it is unrepaired because the surgery was too risky.

This has left her bed bound and in a situation of chronic pain.

Her psychiatrist recommends her to take Tylenol and Advil together 3 times per day. This actually does a good job at relieving her pain.

Regarding the dangers of daily Advil use his position is that my mom is at the end of her life and it will take years for a kidney problem to develop from the Advil (at which time my mom probably won't be here anymore anyway).

Her primary geriatric physician does not want her taking Advil daily because she will be hospitalized with a bleeding stomach ulcer or worse because she is on an anticoagulant. She claims that kidney problems from NSAIDS do do not occur after years of cumulative use. They occur with use right now any dose. And the only way she can take NSAIDS is once in a while.

The problem is without the Advil my mom experiences pain each day (especially during the diaper changes when she has to be moved in the bed).

Can anyone enlighten me to the real risks of using Advil 3 times a day for a patient like my mom?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

The psychiatrist is right. She is at a huge risk of an ulcer and internal bleeding. (I'm a geriatric nurse). Yes, kidney problems do occur but only after long term use. She is at a far greater risk of getting an dangerous ulcer.

Th refusal of surgery is absolutely disgraceful. Definitely get more opinions because no one deserves to be suffering is such terrible pain.

The psychiatrist is an idiot.

• Posted

Sorry, I meant the geriatric dr is correct re the ulcer and bleeding risk.

• Posted

Please get her onto another pain relief medication to replace the advil. There are a huge range but remember to give stool softeners if she is om any opioids. The elderly are at a big risk of bowel impactions. Having had bowel impactions myself, they are beyond absolutely excruciating. Being bedbound also increases her risk of urinary track infections which can kill if not treated. Please get more opinions. It makes me furious that the elderly are left to suffer just because they are old. She could have another 10 years if they treated her properly. Bed bound, in pain, she will suffer endlessly and die in agony. No one deserves that.

What were the drs reasons for no surgery. what country are you in?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.