Is Disinfecting Shopping Still A Necessity?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Since the start of the pandemic, I’ve been cleaning each and every piece of shopping that comes into my house with antibacterial wipes. One wipe in each hand, cleaning every inch of each item. It takes hours to do diligently and it’s mentally exhausting.

Whenever I tell people that this is what I do, they always look at me with eyes that I can see are diagnosing me with OCD. My motivation to continue with these precautions however has come from a number of things.

1: I can’t be vaccinated in spite of desperately wanting to be.

2: I have bronchiectasis, so therefore am especially susceptible to the virus.

3: I am immunocompromised.

I’ve been reading articles saying that it’s no longer necessary to disinfect your shopping; however, in the same breath, these articles that claim to be channelling science also state the importance of hand-washing before and after handling groceries you’ve just purchased. Surely if that’s what the science is saying, it’s also indicating that it’s important to thoroughly clean the items that are making it necessary for you to wash your hands? Surely if the shopping’s dirty enough to make hand-washing a requirement after touching it, it’s dirty enough to requiring cleaning itself?

Also, while the hygiene requirements of shop workers is considered in the scientific findings, what about other factors that could potentially contaminate your food? Would a considered factor be...the lady who walks off the bus with her child, only to then pick them up and stand them in a shopping trolly to walk all over the area your shopping touches in the shoes they’ve walked through vomit and canine excrement in? Can that be quantified into science?

I’d like to know if sanitising shopping is still required - because it seems like it is, but it’s also a huge drain on my life and time resources. Thanks in advanced.

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Hi Andrew. I think you should do what you're comfortable with. With your underlying conditions and not being able to take the vaccine, I think it's smart to take all other precautions. Sure it's time consuming to wipe down all of the groceries, but wouldn't you rather spend time doing that than being sick? Although not as common, you can contract covid from contaminated surfaces.

When the cases are high, I still disinfect my groceries too.

Stay safe!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.