Is Lansoprazole causing my anxiety?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have been on a ppi for 8 years. First I was on omperazole from 2009 to 2012 and then lansoprazole from 2012 till now. I suffer from anxiety where I get vision problems, brain fog. Agitation and concentration problems. I have had my eyes checked and there's nothing wrong with my vision I was told. I have heard ppi's like lansoprazole can make you deficient in vitamins and minerals like vitamin b 12 and magnesium. I thought lansoprazole must be the cause of my issues and decided to go to my doctor and get a blood test done. I got a full blood count which tests vitamin b 12 as well as many other things. I also got tested for magnesium and calcium deficency. All the test results came back and the doctor said everything was fine. So would you say it must be something else that is fading my issues. I suffer terrible heartburn and struggle to go without lansoprazole. But if it is lansoprazole that is fading my issues then I do want to stop then.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

If you think it's your medication ask to try another one there are others they can. Offer you I'm on the same az you and I get really bad heartburn I have it right now and I have a very stressful life which doesn't help me much I've tried other PPI meds but have side affects from them

• Posted

To be honest with you, I think your anxiety is caused by anxiety...

This is normal, everything that a patients get's, He/She will atribute this to the medication and consider it as a side effect. I'm on PPIs for life and after I calm down (I get anxious because being on the drug) the situation get's better in a few days. People have been on this drug for 20+ years and are OK, few of them only experience severe side effects.

I can't go without it and it helps massively it's like a magic pill for me. I there was a war the first thing that I would do is rob a pharmacy and get a least 730 pills of pantoprazole to survive for 2 years.

If you think it really is the cause of your anxiety then just go to the doctor to change lanso to panto or ome or esome or rabe prazole.

Maybe a good test would be to go on H2 blockers for a minimum of 2 weeks and see if your anxiety levels have dropped.

• Posted

Have you had your thyroid checked? Just a thought.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.