Is pain on one rib while dealing with mucus congestion a concern?

Posted , 3 users are following.

So I've been a recurring mucus problem every year, usually during winter. I dealt with it for half of winter this year and come spring it came back and but a few days ago I started feeling a pain in my left rib (slightly when I inhale deeply through my mouth or laugh, and more painfully when I cough). I still have to deal with the mucus build-up and everything still. But in all the years I've dealt with the obnoxious mucus problems (since highschool) I have never had a pain in one of my ribs or even any significant pain when I cough. I should also note I've been overworked with my job at a grocery store where 80% of my shifts' hours is bringing in carts, if that helps as well.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi there,

I wouldn't worry too much about your rib pain, because if you're coughing a lot, it's only a matter of time before your rib/s become sore, or even bruised. For those of you who dontt think bones can bruise, think again. If you're pushing trolleys around for most of the time, could the trolley handle be regularly knocking gently against your lower chest area?

All in all, if it's bothering you, then go & see your doctor for advice & information.

Good luck!

• Posted

I wondered and you didn't mention do you do any lifting at the grocery store where you worked? If so you'll want to definitely talk to your supervisor so that they can send you to the hospital for x-rays. Secondly it could be a strain of your intercostal muscles. These muscles are what connect your ribs together but allow them to expand so you can take a breath. I had this happened to me a few months back after I had a long MRI. It was probably the worst pain I have ever had in my life. And in your case maybe you just didn't strain it as much as I did assuming that's the problem. Lastly of course you could have cracked a rib from all the coughing. For which you should see a doctor so that he can do an x-ray. But when I fell recently on my side the doctor did do an x-ray but said there's really nothing you can do with a broken rib or cracked rib other than just take it easy and it will take its time to heal. You also didn't mention what side it was on and if it's organ related the right side has more organs that could be causing pain than the left. And finally if you put a pillow right where you hurt when you're getting ready to cough or anything else that hurts it it will help a lot.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.