Is there a possible link between Omeprazole and increased anxiety and fatigued?

Posted , 18 users are following.

For 8 months after finished taking Omeprazole, I been getting heart palpitations and anxiety attacks. I was taking them because of GERD and over counter meds not working, and since then been getting anxiety, that has calmed down now as I manage to control other things that trigger them, i.e hunger, heat stress

Had tests at ER, blood test, sugar test chest x-rays etc. All fine.

But I still get some panic attacks, some days worse than others, some days none.

This month, acid reflux is back, and felt bloated, burping and vonstant indigestion.

Doctor thought it may be multiple things, indigestion, muscle ache from physical work and anxiety attacks.

Doctor prescribed me Omeprazole, and gave me a phone number for a therapist that deals with anxiety, mental health problems.

Ever since I started taking Omeprazole again this week, I feel tired fatigued and drowsy, my anxiety seems to go bad again, heart beats fast and like air stuck in my chest, and feel kinda down, especially when doing nothing, or rainy days, and I get stomach upsets and discomfort too and muscle aches, as if I might got a cold or something.

I read online about the dangers of Omeprazole, but I only take one a day.

Is it a side effect of Omeprazole or is it more likely other things unrelated to antacids?

I tried not taking them today and had no symptoms of indigestion, stomach problems and didn't have anxiety symptoms.

2 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

If you read the many forums out there you'll find there is a very big link between these meds and anxiety.

• Edited

I had no preconceptions of what this drug would do except take away my acid reflux.

i have had anxiety for some time and did not know there was a link with omeprazole or i would not have taken it.  Three days in and the anxiety spikes started, i didnt put two and two together until i looked it up. 

Have had to stop taking it as it was causing me to need to take a diazepam and i had been cutting it back.

will have to find a different antacid to help post gallbladder op symptoms now.  

I am really angry gp gave me these, when i say i cannot use them due to anxiety i know she will just say its all in my mind.

what do i do now?

• Posted

tell her the truth . you no your own body and mind.

• Posted

I have been on Opmerazole for 4 months and having mad panic attacks, loss of appetite, and the panic is causing very high bp on occasions . I never had bp problems before. I stupidly took blood pressure while in middle of a major panic attack now going to stop the medication and wait for them to go Anyone else had bp issues with it

• Edited

in Beitain, the information contained within the packaging for Omeprazole includes anxiety as one of its side effects. Although this is predominantly seen in the elderly, its not a huge stretch of the imagination to see that this coukd also happen to younger patients.

I'm sometimes a worrier, but when panic attacks actually wake me from my sleep and the only change i have in my life is the recent advent of Omeprazole..then 1+1 really does make 2.

Personally, i cant stop taking Omeprazole as the long term affects of gastrointestinal reflux may be a step too far, but if anybody knows the best way to deal with the anxiety that comes with this PPI please let me know.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.