is there an alternative to a vena section

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi i have had several venasections over the last year my next appointment with the consultant is in february which is normally for about 3 minutes and very rushed as the dept is so understaffed and overworked.  I know life style changes have to be made, which i am trying to do, but have read that a low dosage of asperin could help. Any ideas

1 like, 21 replies

21 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Tracy, I find 75 mg daily helps a lot, i buy Boots, Gastro-Resistant Tablets.

As for alternative treatments your consultant would only consider this if either your other numbers are raised (White Cells and Platelets) or if you really are not coping very well with venesections. 

As for details on the alternative Drugs avaliable, i am limited in my knoledge so i don't feel comfortable to share what i do know. 

You can go to ' mpdvoice ' website, they have a wonderful amount of information avaliable to anyone. I have been to one of their Forums, where we all get together, and had an awesome time too. 

• Posted

There is an alternative to venisection, it's a drug called hydroxycarbamide, hydrea for short. It won't stop you visiting your consultant as this drug has its own issues. For me it hasn't ended the venisection but there are fewer of them. The effects of the drug on me are as follows, mouth ulcers, itching, I feel cold all the time. There are other issues with it. I was very dubious for along time about taking it and sometimes I'm sorry I started it as I feel the venesections would increase if I was to stop now. You can ask if it's available to you then do a bit of research as to whether or not you want it. I also go to see my consultant on a regular basis. Don't take the short visits to heart as my last appointment last about 30 seconds. If there are issues you will hear about them. It may feel like a lot of hassle for a few minute appointment but it has to be done.
    • Posted

i fully agree Clem, i have been on hydrea a while now and it can knock you around a fair bit, but i would advise against reducing the dose or stopping and re-starting it, I recently did this myself so as i could have a minor operation and the side effects are worse second time around.

But the good side of the medication is it has helped me with reduction in splenomegaly and portal hypertension which were both side effects of my PRV, plus reduced requirements for venesections, one thing i will warn about is scaring of the vein they use, not sure of the needles used over seas but here in australia they use a huge needle for them and now i have scaring of the vein

• Posted

I don't call them needles, their javelins. I thought hydrea caused restless leg syndrome, it doesn't ( least I can't find evidence for it) I tortured with it. I was thinking if I did stop taking it my blood would go haywire.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.