Itching

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hi all. I was diagnosed with PV Primary 4 weeks ago and have had 4 venesections and take aspirin daily.

I have a terribe itch which was one of my original symptoms which is not going away. It is worse when I shower, even with cool water and is usually but not always, on my chest. It also starts when I sweat.

It is so bad it drives me crazy and I have to move around the house singing or shouting out at times. (my wife thought I had tourettes.

Has anyone else had this itching probem and does it ever go?

Thanks in advance.

John

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi John itching is a common and maddening symptom of pv. It is caused because we produce too many histamines in our body. There are many remedies, some work for some, some for others. First try taking Benadryl and apply an anti-itch cream to the areas. If you are in the US, a lot of people use both Zyrtec and Zantec together. They call it the 2 Zs. The Zantac is for your stomach but seems to take care of the overload of histamines in your stomach which contribute to the itch. It can go away if you get on meds. I'm on Jakafi and the itch is gone. Hope this helps. Zap

• Posted

Hi John, it ses also my mots concrete primary symptom. For me, it was  the  feet, it kept me awake at night. Before the diagnosis, Advil was working for me. But, in my case, it stopped after a couple of venesections.  Now on Jakavi, no more symptoms. I could easily forget I have it. Talk to your Dr about it.

Marie

• Posted

Hello John ,

Sadly, itching is a well-known feature of Polycythemia.  It doesn't affect all people but those that do have this itching find it a problem to contain.   Anti-histamine treatments can be effective but I would suggest you have a word with your doctor who can probably prescribe a suitable treatment, either by cream or medicine.  It should gradually lessen over time but some people suffer this complaint for a long time.  It just depends on your body chemistry.  You are far from alone.   Good luck.

Peter.

• Posted

Hello John, Yes I know the itching heebie jeebies.

I’m not taking any drugs other than aspirin and I go for venesections every nowand then.

I have found that all the symptoms of PV are temporary. The itches were in the mornings for maybe a week and then they’d stop for a while. Maybe a week or a month. All very hit and miss.

I cannot for the life of me remember exactly where I read about histamine and mast cells ( I go from one website to another like a bee to flowers) but I read somewhere not too long ago about the link between mast cells (makers or releasers of histamine), calcium and fluoride.

OK, this is going to sound really cranky and it quite possibly is, but I realised that I only itched in the mornings when my routine was wake up, cup of tea with milk (calcium), shower, brush teeth (fluoride), more tea with milk (calcium), breakfast, brush teeth (more fluoride). 

And I wondered what would happen if I got rid of the fluoride in the equation. So I bought some non fluoride toothpaste. And I can say that the frequency and duration of the itching has lessened considerably. Now I itch maybe one morning per month and mot the rip your skin off kind of an itch either.

Try it. Nothing to lose but your reputation of being of sound mind and body.😊

• Posted

Hi John, I've had polycythemia ruba vera since 17, now 21 and the itching has stopped for me at most times. I feel that I mostly feel itchy when I'm due for a ven section or my blood count isn't right. 

hooefully over your next ven sections the itching will die down. Best of luck

• Posted

Hi Amy,

I suspect you are right when you say the itching seems to appear when your blood needs some attention.  

Fortunately, I have never had to contend with itching problems so can't give much help on this subject, but I have suffered in other ways, so haven't got off lightly.  Although itching seems to cause quite a few problems really there isn't much professional advice available that can supply any suitable answers.  I expect someone will come up with a solution at some time or another.  Very often it vanishes following regular treatment, such as you mention.  You are very unlucky to have been diagnosed with PV so early in your life.  Best wishes for your future.

Peter.

• Posted

Hi John

. I have had pv for about 5 years and I too have a bad itching problem. I also need to walk or distract myself until it wears off. It is mainly upper arms, thighs and torso that are worse. I find cold water isn't so bad but I gave up with hot showers a long time ago. It's easy to learn to wash a different part of your body each day and escape the itch.

I have tried all sorts of antihistamine tablets and nothing works. However I can cope with the swimming pool when the grandchildren visit so the rest is easy to live with.

Kind regards David

• Posted

Hi John are you on any meds? If you're not, try laying in the sun. Before I was on meds, I found laying in the sun stopped my itching completely for the whole summer. Ive read others say this also. I know one man goes to tanning salon in the winter. Not for very long, but he says he's stopped itching also. Im not a scientist so I don't know why, but I know it worked for me. Now I'm on Jakafi which also stops the itch, but I've got to be careful with the sun. Same if you're in HU. The sun will not be your friend.  Zap

• Posted

Hi John,

I`m relatively new to PV, being diagnosed about a year ago.I have experienced itching during this time but it seems to come and go.I have been looking at foods etc. which apparently contain Histamines(Alcohol,Chocolate,Pulses etc.).I suppose it is possible that if we already have itching from PV then certain foods containing Histamines could either precipitate or worsen the condition.

There are also foodstuffs which apparently are Anti-Histamines like Turmeric,and a substance contained in Onions and Apples.I tried 1/2 teaspoon of Turmeric recently as a tea and it seemed to dampen down the itch but too soon to know if it will be any good in the long term,and of course certain natural Anti-Histamines might not work for everyone.

As far as having a shower is concerned and even with luke warm water it always produced a frustrating and annoying itch.I recently discovered that instead of rubbing myself dry with the towel it was better to pat myself dry and hey presto,no itch.Apparently by rubbing yourself dry with the towel the nerve endings on the skin are stimulated causing the itch.

Colin. 

• Posted

Thank you for your response Colin. Please keep me informed as to whether or not it works. I aim to try something similar.

John

• Posted

Will do John.Learning from each others experiences through forums such as this has to be a positive.

Colin.

• Posted

Hi John. I've had PV for about 20 years. At times the itching I experienced was unbearable! I've been told by my doctor that itching is a sign that the PV is active. After 7 years of receiving phlebotomies only and itching constantly, I went on a drug called Hydroxyurea, which I remained on for about 10 years. During those years my itching was minor and often not at all. About 2 years ago I switched from Hydroxyurea to pegalated Interferon. I rarely itch ever now. Both drugs have their side effects and risks. They also both surpress the over active bone marrow and therefore the disease, which can eliminate the itching or greatly reduced it.

• Posted

Hi Kathryn,

Having had similar paths in the treatment of PV and the time factor involved I should say we are much on the same wavelength.  Like you, I was prescribed Hydroxy for over 12 years and am now using Jakavi with some success.   Hydroxy caused me considerable problems over the time I used it and Jakavi proved a most welcome change from some of the symptoms I had to contend with.  I note your use of pegylated interferon which I know is quite well prescribed in US these days, but very little in UK.  I am aware that it too has side effects and it would be interesting to know how you find this medicine reacts with you.   I have never encountered the itching problem that seems so prevalent with others.   Best wishes.

Peter. 

• Posted

Hi Peter. I'm so happy for you that you have not had to deal with the itching. Jakavi sounds like a great medicine. I was told by my doctor that it probably would not be covered by my insurance. My doctor wanted me to stop Hydrea because changes in my bone marrow indicated possible movement to MDS. I felt fantastic while on Hydrea though. I have been on Pegasus, pegalated Interferon, for almost 2 years. I take about 60 mcg weekly by injection. I was on 90 mcg for a year and a half. Interferon has controlled my counts well. I feel really tired for about 16 hours after each injection. After that I feel fine until the next injection. I was told that Interferon can surpress the PV enough to perhaps keep it from progressing to MF or AML.

• Posted

Hi Kathryn,

Thank you for your response.  Your information about interferon is very interesting.  I know of other patients in USA who use this medicine who seem to find it suits them well.   I am told that interferon is well suited to ET but not to PV or MF.  Sadly, I progressed to the latter a few years ago following difficult problems with Hydroxy but Jakavi has been an immense change for the better and I use but the most minimal dosage.  My blood readings have returned to normal.  I need to visit the haematology clinic every 4 weeks.  I do not suffer from extra tiredness and maintain a fairly active existence.  I would suggest that the severe tiredness could be due to anaemia which is a well know feature of all MPN's.  I think you were very right to cease taking Hydroxy.   In UK Jakavi is only available by prescription and with special medical authorisation through NHS.  The problem with Jakavi is that as it is a fairly new drug on the market its long-term effects are not yet fully realised.  Thanks again for your reply.  I wish you good health in the future.

Peter.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.