Ive decided to try to come off lansoprazole anyone else tried this

Posted , 6 users are following.

Ive been on lansoprazole for over 30 years and am now experiencing bad long term side effects . The tablets, 15 mg per day have worked well for me so far but i have now started getting reccuring polyps in my stomach which i have to have cut off every year. Also ive just had pneumonia, another side effect apparently, ive also read of other possible problems that no one told me about. I am going to try and take the tablets every other day to start with and see what happens, ive bought some gaviscone to take after meals on no tanlet days and ive altered my diet and am only eatin as and when im hungry and then only dmall ammounts and easily digestable foods . Can anyone else give me any tips ?.

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I was on Omeprazole for a few years but TBH it wasnt really working. I was then changed to Lansoprazole and after a few months told the doctor it wasnt working either, i was told to persevere then told last April to double up the dose. It may have been a coincidence but 3 days later I had a heart attack. I suffered for 3 and a half months with pains every night worse than the heart attack, most of which I am certain were caused by a new heart drug, Ticagrelor.

However I am certain all of this came from my stomach/GI as I have what seem to be classic gall bladder pains (my doctor disagrees) and have since stopped eating Dairy,( replaced with soya milk) stopped Pork, cut out wheat and I also take a certain brand of supplement every day which is fermented fruits, nuts etc, a Pro regulat which aids digestion. So far I have been doing well and can go to the gym, cycle etc. I am not a big drinker, never have been and never ate processed food. Its trial and error to be honest as I still get pain in my gall bladder from time to time and pester my GP frequently about it but he isnt much help!!

• Posted

I too had serious gall bldder pains and eventualy had it removed , theres also an increased risk of heart attack, and various other serious side effects , some of which ive had , ive just had brocho pneumonia and have had a cough for the ladt 8 years. The doctors dont tell you any of this do they .i definitely think diet is the key and after each small meal i am having 2 spoons of gaviscone. Im only on my second day wthout tablets after 40 +years so long way to go i dont know if it will work or not but ill keep blogging so other people can see if its worth trying to come off them.

• Posted

Hi Pearl i to have been on lanzoprazole for 25/30 years but i now take up to 90 mg a day / 30 in the morning another 30 at 5 pm and more of a late evening , i do gaviscone in between.I had the operation to correct a hyeatus hernia but it failed....worse decision of my life.

Im waiting for a follow up appointment.My esophagus pretrudes outwoulds just below my rib cage im in an awful state

• Posted

15mg lansoprazole is a very low dose. 30mg is the usual low maintenance dose. The drug was first licenced in 1995. It was the second of the new PPI drugs to be introduced (the first being omeprazole a few years earlier) . If you're getting stomach polyps from lansoprazole try switching to a different PPI. (10mg omeprazole is equivalent to 15 of lanzo. )

Pneumonia is a very unlikely side effect of PPI. It is, however, a side effect of reflux. PPIs reduce acid but not reflux. They just make the reflux less dangerous.

If you have been takng that low a dose, you should have no problem stopping them. If you had been taking a hiher dose, you can get rebound. If you notice acid burning, it's what the lanso was protecting you from.

If you're determined not to stay on a PPI, a Histamine H2 Receptor Antagonist (like ranitidine / Zantac) may be substituted and Gaviscon as required. However, these drugs are not as efficient as PPIs.

Lifestyle: Don't wait until you're hungry to eat. Eat small protions but more often. 5 small meals spread through the day is better than 3 big meals.

• Posted

Thank you for your input, im now looking into this and willtalkto my doctor not sure yet which way il go , trial and error see how i am i dont eat big meals but il do as you suggest and eat smaller meals more often , thank you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.