JAK2 positive?

Posted , 9 users are following.

I heard a radio programme recently which described some research that has been done in Iceland. Geneticists are studying the correlation between the age of a father and the number of spontaneous genetic mutations he passes on to his children in his sperm.

There is a ratio between age and the number of mutations. Young fathers pass on relatively few whereas older fathers pass on many more.

As the JAK2 mutation is a spontaneous genetic mutation I thought it might be fun to ask people here who tested positive for JAK2 how old our respective fathers were when each of us was born.

To start us off, mine was 43 and, if you chase up the Icelandic research online, that tells us that he passed on about 92 spontaneous genetic mutations to me, one of which might just have been polycythaemia. 

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Hi Angela my father was 27 when I was born and I am Jak2+. This is fun. 
  • Posted

My father was 46 when I was born. He had several heart attacks over the years. All my uncles died of heart attacks and strokes.... makes me wonder if it was passed down from my grandfather who also died from a stroke.

• Posted

Hi Angela, My father was 44 at the time of my Birth, my mother was 39. This theory really does seem to make some sense.
  • Posted

My father was 40 !  He died with complications to PV ( a damaged spleen ) when he was 66.   His death was recorded as being due to Myeloma I believe.
  • Posted

Hi angel my father was 20 and I am Jak2 positive, look forward to your response many thanks Paul
  • Posted

Hello Angela,

Now that is a pearl to come up with.  I thought you might be referring to another news item on the radio today that mentioned research being carried out in China.  Apparently this has involved the DNA of a patient with a blood disorder, not unlike MPN's, whereby the stem-cell has been chemically treated and separated, treated, and then replaced from whence it came.  The results have been quite successful.  Early days yet I hear but it has the potential to treat many with other blood stem-cell disorders.  I have a feeling that the Icelandic research had a mention but was included in the discussion afterwards.  Well my father was a sailor - and you know what sailors are!  Trust all is well with you Angela.  I can tell you that my blood counts have become quite static and remained 

that way since I was taken off Hydroxy and put on Ruxolitinib.  A vast improvement all-round. Even the Haematologists are enthusiastic with the results.  Good to see that you stay well.   Best wishes.

Peter.

• Posted

Hi Angela,

The Chinese news is now on the BBC web-site if you want to read it.

Peter.

• Posted

Yes, I heard that too. Not sure if I want someone messing about with my DNA. I might turn into a fly.cheesygrin

So that's where you get your love of sailing from.

• Posted

Hello Angela,

So a fly is born.  Just think of everything you could learn if it sat on the wall.  Good wishes.

Peter.

• Posted

Thanks everyone.

After the initial flurry of older fathers I thought I was maybe in line for a PhD or Nobel prize or something. cheesygrin

But maybe we are just a normal cross section of society after all. Whatever "normal" means.confused

• Posted

Hello Angela,

We don't want you to metamorphose into anything unusual.  Just stay as you are.  Better a dream as awoke Abou Ben Adham.  Wish you well.

Peter

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.