just diagnosed with prv

Posted , 3 users are following.

I had a minor stroke whilst up the town shopping ended up in hospital where initial blood tests showed very high red blood cells. taken down to the haematology where the initial assessment was prv. tests later revealed jak2 . the results of my 1st test were haemoglobin 207 g/l  white count 10.0 x 10 /l  platelets 296 x 10 l. up to now 2 weeks later I have given 2 litres of blood and started taken 1 hydrox tablet every other day. I was wondering if my symptoms are unusual many thanks

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Hi John,

The high red blood cell count is a feature of Polycythaemia and is caused by the bone marrow creating too many of these cells to maintain oxygen in the body system.  I have covered the other aspects you raise in your second message and does not require any further comment.  Good luck.

Peter.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.