Lanoprazole side effects?

Posted , 23 users are following.

Hi..been taking Lansaprozole 15mg one every 2 days now for the past year or so...before that I was taking another PPI tablet for heartburn for about 2 years(Nexium) but doctor took me off those cos too expensive..so about 3-4 years in total...in that time I have had a bloated belly all of the time...feeling nauseus most of the time...dizzyness most of the time...hard to concentrate,pins and needles and numbness in hands and face,...aching muscles and stiff joints...and itching of arms and belly..and low level of concentration...but apart from my back aches badly in the centre of my back badly....just read the sheet with lansaprozole, and these are all the side effects...gonna phone my GP tomorrow and have a word as I've had all the tests going to find out whats wrong with me...and I just hope this medication is causing all the problems...cos I will just take gaviscon again to just feel like a normal person....anyone else having these problems and have stopped taking the medication and feeling normal...please tell me its true.....BTW 40 yr old male who was in generally good health until these probles arose over 4 years ago!!!

Joe

3 likes, 41 replies

41 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi.. just saw your post. I have been put on lanzoprazole after an endoscopy revealed gastritis. I have a headache everyday and dizziness too...stomach niggles like nipping pains and sore joints. I am constipated and have pain in the middle of my upper back too. Spoken to doc and he said i must keep taking them. You just can't win. I hope you're feeling better now. X
  • Posted

Hi , I've been taking lanzoprazole for over 10 months and in the last 6 weeks have been feeling dizzy, tired and having problems concentrating. Saw my gp who sent me for blood tests , all normal . He's asked me to keep a diary of symptoms . This week I did more research and found that dizziness is a side effect . I stopped taking lanzoprazole yesterday so will see if dizziness improves . How come GP didn't think of that though ???? Hope it is the tablet as it is very frustrating.

• Posted

Joe,

I have the same symptoms you are describing.  Was your GP able to figure out what was wrong?  I too have had many blood tests and imaging studies that all came out negative.  Good luck and I hope to hear from you soon.

• Posted

Hi there ...im in a similar situation and wondering what will happen once I stop taking the 30 mg lansoprazole I've been given for two months suspecting dyspepsia without any tests done by gp.... My initial problem was intense pain in upper stomach and hunger making it worse and pain my back adjacent to upper stomach..... Worse at night time to the point I couldn't sleep.... After taking lansoprazole The bloating headaches and back pains seem to effect me worse than how it was before.... I'm so confused... My husband Dr thinks gp should've tested for h pylori but I can't argue with gp over it.... Hopefully this two months course fixes everything and hope you all get better soon too

• Posted

I had been taking H2s and PPIs for 10 years off and on.   Immediately after coming off of them, I experienced rebound reflux which was expected.  I didn't experience anything else like headache.  However, I am convinced that these drugs were altering the functionality of my gut (magnesium, calcium, vit D malabsorption).  It is this dysfunction that I believe led to my neruo muscular symptoms.  I have clinical proof that this is the case b/c all my labs and tests (ordered by GPs, GI drs, Neuro) have all come out negative. 

GPs are limited in their knowledge of how to treat specific organ/systems.  For the most part they try to couple a drug (most likely recommended by a drug rep) with a symptom(s) that you may be experiencing.  I realize that this may be a general statement but this has been my experience.  

You have to be careful tapering yourself off PPIs especially if you have some erosive syndromes that may be causing your problems.  A talk with a gastroenterologist may be beneficial.  PPIs are only recommended for 7 days for most people (I believe that is what the OTC labeling says).  Good luck.  Keep questioning.  Most people give up too easily.

• Posted

Thank you for your very informative reply... I will definitely investigate and try to do a home test for h pylori and see if it comes out positive then will take it to gp....i don't wanna take this medicine for more than a month though... Thanx again.... Hope you feeling better

• Posted

I have been taking Lansoprazole for possibloy 15 years now and it works very well. If i miss a day, I get 45 minutes of heart attack-like chest pain. Crushing agony. I only need 15mg a day though to stop it. 

One day I went to a doctor and at the end of the consultation mentioned I had twitchy legs from time to time. I was given 'Sifrol' to test. It was fantastic - until I missed a day. I kicked my wife out of bed, no longer a twich. Since then I have had to increase my Sifrol does from time to time - at least until I started taking Lyrica with it. The Lyrica let me reduce my Sifrol to 2*25mg a night but I sometimes need 300mg of Lyrica to manage that trick. I have no mental control over my kicking. It is my upper thigh that convulses, firts one leg for 45 minutes, then the other, occasionally both at once, then maybe on bad days my shoulders, even my hands, once even my kneck. It is frightening. Not only do I lose sleep but also sanity.

If I get the does right and don't forget them, I am normally fine, but even then from time to time I'll kick.

I have not seen anyone else with this combination of issues - but this thread is the closest I havefound. Yes, I too have had B12 deficiency, but no headaches - loads of bloating. I am a 58/9 yearold man but I have twich, as have my father and my son since childhood - but, noting like as badly as I do since starting the unstopable Sifrol. Don't try it !!! Oh yes, I also had ME. Lycopodium 30c stopped that - when I remembered / could sumon up the strength to take it. Yes, I know, impossible - but, it worked for me- several times.

• Posted

Gut Flora - does anyone know how to fix this ? I took a lot of antibiotics thirty years ago and my Lansoprazole 'adiction' has lasted a decade. If my gut flora has suffered - how can I fix it ? I've net heard a doctor even mention it.

• Posted

Joe,

I have variations of these symptoms.  I have been taking prevacid a lot longer.  I tapered myself off in February 2016 but I am hoping that symptoms will resolve over time.  Not sure if and how long this will take but these symptoms have changed my life for the worse.  I too am a 50 yo male who was always in good health and very active.  Now I am the polar opposite.  I have had a whole bunch of blood tests and imaging studies and they are negative or inconclusive.  GP is useless.  I am waiting for a endocrinolgy blood panel to see if I have some sort of "inflammatory" disease (like myositis, muscular dystrophy).  Am also considering a detox program too but not sure which one.  Good luck and please update us on your discussion with your GP.  

• Posted

I took the same (15mg).

I the beginning(first few days I was tired,weak And felt dizzy).That got better after a while.After a few weeks(8) I got bruises on my leg without a cause.

Big bruises one was even on my butt.

When I stop taking them,the bruises go away but the reflux is back(it's not even completly away with the lansoprazol)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.