Lanoprazole side effects?

Posted , 23 users are following.

Hi..been taking Lansaprozole 15mg one every 2 days now for the past year or so...before that I was taking another PPI tablet for heartburn for about 2 years(Nexium) but doctor took me off those cos too expensive..so about 3-4 years in total...in that time I have had a bloated belly all of the time...feeling nauseus most of the time...dizzyness most of the time...hard to concentrate,pins and needles and numbness in hands and face,...aching muscles and stiff joints...and itching of arms and belly..and low level of concentration...but apart from my back aches badly in the centre of my back badly....just read the sheet with lansaprozole, and these are all the side effects...gonna phone my GP tomorrow and have a word as I've had all the tests going to find out whats wrong with me...and I just hope this medication is causing all the problems...cos I will just take gaviscon again to just feel like a normal person....anyone else having these problems and have stopped taking the medication and feeling normal...please tell me its true.....BTW 40 yr old male who was in generally good health until these probles arose over 4 years ago!!!

Joe

3 likes, 41 replies

41 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi there smile

I'm only 22 but I was on Lansoprazole last month when I went to my GP complaining about an upset tummy. I hadn't been eating and I was feeling nauseus a lot etc. I was on Lansoprazole for a month, one tablet daily an hour before I ate. My doctor thought I had something called "Gastritis" which to me seems like a generic fancy name that doctors use for an upset stomach, you can type in gastritis in the internet and you'll be there for hours reading about the hundreds of different ways people have it and for different causes.

Anyway in the long run I don't think it did much for me, I still felt nauseous and to be honest I wasn't sure if I still felt the nausea for the reason I went to the doctors, or because of the tablets, I was a bit frustrated to say the least. I did feel the bloating a little like you, but not to the same extent I don't think.

After I had finished the course of tablets my doctor just told me to see how I was and took me off the Lansoprazole. Exactly a week after my last dose I got the worst heartburn I've ever had in my life, a burning sensation in my stomach that rose up to my throat. It lasted for almost 3 days, but I got rid of it with Gaviscon. I'm not sure if there was a connection but I'm a little suspicious, as the Lansoprazole I believe are supposed to reduce the amount of acid in your stomach, so after a week without them I should have more acid in my stomach that my body wasn't use to. It just seems logical.

I've not been on any medication for almost two weeks now, my stomach feels different these days. I don't know if I actually had this "Gastritis" or not. I had blood tests the other week but they all came back clear. I've been eating much better than I was a month ago but my stomach just feels a little "off", its hard to describe but its just not the same anymore. But at least I feel better than I did a month ago.

Thats my story anyway.

• Posted

Hi - I am been taking them for the last 5 months, I stopped taking 30mg a day  days ago, and to date, have not had the bad indigestion/heart burn that I was suffering.  I too had side effects, waking up with really bad headaches and feeling sick and bloated but they took the hearburn and indigestion away.  Since stopping them I have experienced a cough after eating and bring up some kind if mucas just wondered if anyone else had these symptons after stopping taking them and I tend to wheeze at little at night.  I wondered if this wa normal after the tablets had stopped the stomach acid and whether it was the body getting rid of it.   certainly feel better not taking them dont feel crap all the time and certainly dont miss the headaches
  • Posted

Hi Joe, just read your experience whilst taking lansoprazole... I am on 30mg a day and have every symptom you describe that you have..... This drug really does make me feel lousy but i have read that if you stop taking the feeling of something stuck in throat comes back.. I really sympathize with you.... I hate going out as i feel as if i am going to pass out... I am waiting an ultrsound scan to see if anything is going on... Do you sometimes feel breathless whilst eating... I do.. and its prety scary all these symptoms x
    • Posted

Hi I'm not having the same as you but have really bad tummy with diahorrea and feeling sick. I was on the lansoprazole for about 7 weeks and stopped 10 days ago. My doc has done tests but all came back normal. Feeling really down, seems to be getting worse and I just want to when it will get better or what I need to sort it out??
    • Posted

Hi Fiona..... I symathise with you... I have a scan today to see if there is anything going on. I often feel as if i am going to pass out... dizziness and nausea, pins and needles, joint pain and feel unwell all the time.. please let me know how you get on xx
    • Posted

Hi Maisie thanks for your reply, did you have the same diahorrea and feeling sick? How long have you been like it? Are you still on the drug? 
    • Posted

Hi Fiona.... i have stopped this drug now for 2 weeks.... I do feel a bit better now that i decided to stop to see if these were causing so many symtoms... Ididnt have diahorrea but very constipated and nauseas.. I have read a few reviews and everyone seems to have lots of symptoms too and diahorrea... It sounds as if this is a horrid drug to be on . io dont get the dizzy spells so much now but have really sore shoulders x
  • Posted

Hi I have been taking lanzoprazole 15mg for a few years now I am having all the same symptoms listed and it is sending me mad I'm thinking I have all kinds wrong with me I have however been diagnosed with b12 deficiency which taking ppis for a long length of time can cause and all the symptoms can be associated with b12 deficiency
    • Posted

I'm the same Louise. I'm on 30mg. Iv convinced myself.i have all kinds of illnesses because of the effects of this. The bloating dizziness headaches feeling yuck and pain in.my upper middle back are a nightmare. Really don't know what to do for the best. I stop the tablet for a few days and i feel normal but worried the gastritis will get worse so go back on them. Xx
    • Posted

It is awful we take a tablet to help us and end up ten times worse if I don't take lanzoprazole for one day I go back to square one I feel I'm fighting a losing battle I can't cope with the dizziness it makes me anxious I am going to discuss it with my doctor I have read up about it a lot and long term use of ppis eats your vitamins which has happened in my case
    • Posted

Definitely speak to your doctor. I find myself walking into door frames and wardrobes as if I'm off balance. My eyes are dry blurry and heavy too. The worst for me is the pain in my middle upper back. I will go back to my doc too and see what he suggests this time. It makes you feel like a hypochondriac . Surely there must be a simpler solution xx
    • Posted

I have also had blurry vision,light sensitivity, tingling skin muscle cramps tinnitus pain in upper and lower back chest pain it really gets me down I've been back and two for a few years to doctor who said I had health anxiety so more medication then finally found a doctor who did test and b12 and folate were really low which I believe is caused by lanzoprazole so I will try to get something else to treat acid reflux I hope you have some luck with your doctor too
    • Posted

Hi Agnes, I've only been on Lansoprazole for a few months but was on omeprazole prior to this. I feel bloated etc and my stomach is still grumbling and I have indigestion constantly. The pain in your back? Is it between your shoulder blades and across your shoulder blades? If so I would get a blood test and ECG done as I have had that pain twice and it's affecting my heart
    • Posted

Guys do any of you experience silent acid reflux? I barely did. But once that is over with I want to heal my stomach lining. I believe this can be the cause of this stomach upruption
    • Posted

Dear louise83491, I was wondering if you had the discussion with your doctor.  What did he/she say about "ppis eats your vitamins"?  Don't forget this also alters your gut flora.  I absolutely believe in this unwanted side effects despite the recommendations of my GI and GP.   The problem is that you have to get your GI into more of an acidic environment which means a modification of lansoprazole therapy.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.