Lansoprasole rash?

Posted , 2 users are following.

I have been taking 15 mg Lanzoprozole daily for very many years. They help with heartburn caused by Haitus Hernia. Initially I just took them when the heartburn flared but in the past few years have been taking one or two daily or suffer the increasingly severe consequences. A GP told me several years agoto keep taking them daily regardless of whether the symptoms are there or not; adding that the alternative is to let the acid run riot and possibly cause cancer of the oesophagus! This scared me and so I have continued to take them daily up until recently. 

Throughout these years I have had an itchy rash that, when scratched becomes raised spots that are sometimes painful and even more itchy. I have put this down to life's stresses and an ongoing battle with depression. These fiery spots [I know - don't scratch - easier said than done!] bleed profusely and are the bain of my life. They have stopped me from doing stuff like swimming, sunbathing or even having a relationship with anyone. Having lived contendedly as almost a recluse [not just because of the spots - there is a bigger picture]  for some time I am now in a better place and looking to begin living again.  Hence me wondering - yet again - what might be causing the spots which have so often been shrugged off by several different GPs; even named and treated as Scabies - FGS! - by one doctor [when the circumstances required for having caught the mites were a million miles from my lifestyle] This diagnosis was doubted by yet another GP almost a year later and this time I'm currently being treated with yet another antihistemine!! On it goes.

However, a few days ago I re-read the possible side - effects of Lansoprazole  and guess what? The words 'itchy rash'  screamed at me from the leaflet! I know - why have I not seen this before? I think the phrase is 'Go Figure'. I haven't taken any Lansoprazole for three days [something which would have filled me with horror at one time] Yes I've had some heartburn but have tried to control it by eating more regular, small meals. This seems to help and I have to say [hope this isn't wishful thinking] the spots which last week were red and sore do appear to be healing because I do not itch anywhere near as much! Also the ever present constipation [which I have always accepted as smething I have to live with] seems to be improving? Early days I know but am desperately hoping that I can stay off the tablets and have made yet another appointment to request Gaviscon as a back up for any bad spells of heartburn and also to hopefully alleviate the 'lump in the throat' sensation that is intermittently occuring.

Has anyone else experienced a similar situation regarding a rash whilst taking these tablets? I would be really interested to know. Aplogies for the long dialogue!

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I was about to post a thread about a new rash after being on Lanzoprozole a couple of months and then read  your message,

i dont normally get spots or rashes but a week or so ago developed a raised red patch on my arm near my elbow,,I tried different healing creams because the patch looks inflamed and feels hot and stings.  A couple of days ago I noticed a red itchy area on my ankle on the same side. Closer look it seems similar in appearance to the one on my arm.

A couple of weeks ago I noticed some itchy spots on my other leg but they seem to have gone now.

l’m wondering if Lanzoprozole is the culprit. 

• Posted

Could well be but check with your GP before coming off them as early days still? As for my ongoing situation, the new tablets prescribed don't control the heartburn so GP is trying yet another one which is related to Lanzoprazole - - - after first couple of days being wonderfully heartburn free - the itch is back!! Ho hum - - - hope yours clears up.

• Posted

I have an appointment booked with my Gp on another matter but will ask about my rash at the same time. 

Will update you if I learn anything.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.