Lansoprasole withdrawl.

Posted , 6 users are following.

This is a sort of blog, so I hope it helps someone. I had gastritis, and was given Lansoprasole 30mg for almost two years. I went to the doctor 14 days ago, to ask to come off the tablets. He said I should just stop them. I was confused, surely I should reduce the dosage first, but no, that's what he said. So the next morning, I stopped. All was okay, until day 6. Slight amount of acid, no real problems. Day 7 -8-9-10, burping a lot on the evening and more acid. Day 11, I can't eat anything. Day 12, tummy sore, feeling sick and bloated, can't eat. Day 13 feel a bit better, but I still can't eat. My neighbour said I'm losing weight, but is that just because of not taking the tablets, because I put on weight when I started to take them.

I'm keeping what happens in a diary, to keep an eye on progress.

2 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

• Posted

I came off a PPI after taking it for three months for stomach ulcers and gastritis and my doctor stressed that I should come off gradually. I was on 2 X 20 mg a day (morning and evening) and cut this down to 2 X 10 mgs twice a day for a month, then down to 1 X 10 mgs for a further month then down to none. I was on a very bland diet, mainly steamed fish and boiled vegetables gradually introducing other foods. I found it was best to avoid salt which use very sparingly and I still can't tolerate pepper or strong flavoured foods. I avoid onions though a tiny bit of garlic occasionally is okay. You just have to find out what your body can tolerate. I have been off PPIs for 7 months now and the acidic taste in my mouth only comes back if I eat stuff that triggers it. If you want to be PPI free then it is hard at first to cut out so many foods that can trigger it. I hope this helped.

• Posted

Thank you for your reply. It looks like my doctor was wrong to suddenly stop me, as I thought. I can't eat fruit at all , since day 6. I really appreciate your experience and how you've dealt with it.

• Posted

hi chrissy. im on 30 mg lansoprazole @ day for past number of years and was advised not to stop taking them in one go just reduce the dosage and having tried that it didnt really work fir me so im on the 30 mg a day and lije yourself i cant eat fruit, veg, eggs and a whoke host of other stuff as i would be nausea afterwards. my regurgiation can be a pain and reflux unpleasant. i very mhch think your doctor was wrong to take you off them all at once.

• Posted

Thank you, Joseph. I'm glad I have others who think I should have been offered a lower dose first. Have you read the problems the tablets can give you? I know what you mean about the acid and feeling sick. Today, I've managed a tin of soup, with no bread. So, there's light at the end of my tunnel, hopefully. I read, yesterday, that it can put weight onto older people, so I'm looking forward to getting into my old clothes ha ha. Take care of yourself. What I've read about them isn't nice.

• Posted

2 years ago, I think, I came off slowly over 2 weeks and was fine. I still stay clear of foods I know will cause me trouble, like curries and wine and I'm coping very well without Lansaprozole. At the first signs of indigestion I take a couple of Gaviscon tablets and that kills it in its tracks!

• Posted

I'm glad that you're off them. The things I've read about them, lately, isn't nice. I think i will refuse to ever take them again. Thank you for your reply.

• Posted

I seem to be slowly getting to eat more normally and found that a couple of teaspoons of Milk of Magnesia (which tastes chalky and dries my mouth out) does the trick when I get an acid taste in my mouth or heartburn. I take it about once a week on average though not as much lately. I read somewhere on another forum that before PPIs Milk of Magnesia was prescribed to clear up stomach ulcers.

• Posted

Milk of magnesia, that's interesting. I wonder whether it would help gastritis, if it's still around, and i start to notice it, in future. Thank you.

• Posted

Hi Chrissy

You can buy it from Tesco's for about £4 or Savers for around £1 cheaper, 1 bottle lasts quite a while if you only need a couple of teaspoons once or twice a week. About the PPIs, I found they worked better at getting rid of the acid taste if I took (I was on 20 mgs a day) 10 mgs in the morning and 10 mgs in the night at 12 hour intervals. I have found heartburn has practically gone since I gave up wheat based products, I can eat Rye bread though as long as it's 100% rye, which I make myself and can eat Ryvita, but everyone has different food triggers for gastritis I think.

• Posted

Thank you, that's really interesting. I would never have thought of things like wheat based products. I just imagined curries and acid fruits, like oranges. I will keep a diary about what could start it off. I appreciate you getting back to me about it.

• Posted

The only fruit I can eat are pears but anything else even melon I can't eat. What were you diagnosed with. I was diagnosed with gastritis around two years ago and have only had short spells on ppi's, no more than around 3 months at a time and been on and off them three times. This is the longest I've been without an attack which leaves me without an appetite and like you lost a lot of weight even though I am slim to start with, it's very worrying at the time isn't it?

• Posted

I was diagnosed as having gastritis, by endoscopy almost two years ago, i was given the tablets, then left, by the doctor. I had only one follow up by the chemist after over a year. It was me who told the doctor I wanted to get off them. I will try a pear when I start to eat, thanks. I'm happy to lose a bit of weight, the gastritis seems to have given my tummy area a little bulge haha, as long as it isn't too much weight lost. Thank you for writing to me.

• Posted

Your story practically mirrors my own. Do you think we will ever get better? There doesn't seem to be any real investigation in the UK now, they just give you the pills and leave you on them indefinitely. I hope you make a complete recovery one day and are able to eat what you like it's hard having to give up all the flavoursome food. I really miss my strong coffee in the mornings!

• Posted

About six months before I went to the doctor, I started drinking green tea with two teaspoons of local honey, once a day. cheap honey is usually made mostly of sugar, so I get mine from my local seller. Also, I had a Yakult drink once a day. Since stopping the tablets, I've managed to get a drink called Fire Fighter. It's a tea that's anti inflammatory. It's got ginger mint and turmeric in it. It seems to help the acid and I feel that it soothes my tummy. Tonight is the first time that I haven't felt sick, and burped constantly, so it must be doing something good. It may be worth you trying some of them. I agree that it's wrong for doctors to forget us, I'm sure that the tablets aren't totally safe to take, without regular check ups.

• Posted

hi Chrissy I'm at fighting a losing battle. my doctor said take 2 x 15 mg every morning so i did. not making me feel any better. another doctor came and said I'll have to higher your dose to 30 mg they came it says on the box 1 to be taken every morning. if my math's is right 15+15=30 I'm going to cut them down as wile I've been ill acid as never been a problem

• Posted

I'm so sorry to read that you think you're losing the battle. I agree, 2x15 is 30. Doctors nowadays don't seem to have the time anymore to really read peoples notes. This is my second evening without acid and constant burps, but I still have problems eating. I use a probiotic yoghurt and one green tea with honey, a day, but not together. The yoghurt is good for digestion and honey is antibiotic and anti inflamatory. I read, yesterday, that the tablets put weight on people 60 plus. Have you read the leaflet which comes with the tablets? It's enough to scare anyone. If you check the effects, eg osteoporosis, hopefully it will give you the willpower to get off them. I hope you win your battle very soon.

• Posted

Forgot to add, if you try the honey, use the local ones, the cheap shop ones are basically sugar, with no benefits for anyones body.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.