Lansoprazole 30mg

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi, folks hope you are all well. I am interested in people's accounts of taking Lansoprazole for LPR or GORD/GERD. Did it help or not? What side effects did you have etc? I have taken this before and it caused my throat symptoms to worsen plus it made my mouth and tongue very sore and I developed little sores inside my mouth. I only took it for a week though and then my GP said to just stop taking it. I am wondering about giving it another go. I am awaiting manometry to see if I have acid reflux or hypersensitive gullet but symptoms are bad. I just made a real mess of a trial with Famotidine and my options are running out. Thank you.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Edited

hi I take it and have done years the only problem I have had is constipation , have you spoke to your doctor about trying a different PPI because There are lots of different ones you could try

• Edited

Thanks for your reply, Gillian. When I took the 15 mg it had the same effect on me which caused me to regurgitate like crazy. I still don't know if this is an acid problem or not but all the ppis I have tried seem to have made things worse. I have always relied on Gaviscon Advance but that just burns my throat and gullet now. I think I remember you posting about it burning you too a couple of years ago? Like a lot of people on the forum this illness has caused me to become severely anxious and depressed and I think that makes things worse. My GP is great but I think that he's run out of ideas to help. I need to take something because, without the Gaviscon Advance, my throat is getting bad I just don't want to make things worse especially at the moment with everything that's going on and the difficulty getting appointments etc. Thanks for your help. If you've taken it for years it must be ok!

• Edited

So PPIs can stop you absorbing vitamins and minerals. Ulcers in your mouth can be a sign of iron deficiency. If you decide to take ppis again take a multivitamin and mineral tablet. But I would recommend trying esomeprazole rather than lansoprazole because it is a better quality ppi and just in case your symptoms were an allergy to lansoprazole, you may not get the same reaction. But please take a multivitamin and mineral tablet if you take ppis because of all the problems you can get from vitamin and mineral deficiencies.

• Edited

Thank you for the wise words, moon. I really don't want to take a PPI at all for many reasons but mainly because they seem to have made things worse and I have always been advised to stop taking them and just go back to using Gaviscon Advance. Now this burns my throat and gullet quite badly I feel a bit stuck really. I was steeling myself for a manometry hoping it would show whether this is GORD or hypersensitive gullet but it's been postponed. I am symptomatic so I need to do something. Esomeprazole was given to me by a consultant. Thirty minutes after every dose I got acid? shooting up my gullet which had never happened before. This burned my throat so badly I was on a liquid diet for a while. He said that this was probably due to my problem being a hypersensitive gullet rather than a reflux problem. I tried Lansoprazole 15 mg which made me so sick and completely constipated that I couldn't function. I tried Lansoprazole 30 three years ago but only for a week. I noticed the usual nausea and headache and increase in mucus etc but it was the throat soreness that bothered me because I don't think I could take it worse than it is now. The Lanso 30 also made my persistent tinnitus much worse and gave me patulous eustachian tube problems so I haven't had much success! Sure my anxiety doesn't help. The thing that scares me the most is the rebound . Glad you've found something that works and a way to make it as healthy as possible.

• Posted

It sounds like you probably have something more than just GORD. Have you had a gastroscopy?

• Edited

Hi, moon - yes I've had 5 over the years all ok but histology showed minor reflux changes. Sounded scary to me but the consultant was happy for me to treat it with Gaviscon Advance after I had such a rough time on the PPIs. They said the only way to get a definitive answer as to whether this was an acid or a sensation problem was manometry and ph studies. Scared to death of that . I thought maybe I just hadn't given acid suppressants a long enough trial but they said I should have felt SOME benefit which I didn't. Very confusing especially since 2 ENTs saw inflammation in throat. Sick of it all to be honest. I am frightened it might be something to do with motility in the oesophagus but who knows? How about you? Are you all sorted with medication that works and a lifestyle that allows you to function and have a bit of pleasure sometimes?

• Edited

I have had acid reflux from a very young age, I started taking PPIs from a young age and have gone through a few different types before settling with esomeprazole. Certain medications I have been on have made the reflux worse, for example, antidepressants, blood thinners and antibiotics. Fortunately I didn't need to be on any of those long term so I am a lot better now. I watch my diet and have to be careful what I eat and drink. I can't have caffeine, white wine/champagne, fatty foods, sugar, spicy foods, citrus fruit juice and most things you find on the list of foods to avoid for reflux! I found myself vitamin d and b12 deficient which made my stomach problems worse, since taking supplements regularly I am so much better. If nothing else is working for you, I would recommend at least trying vit d and b12, it won't get rid of the problem but it may make it a little less severe. They say most people are vitamin d deficient and should take that supplement. If you look at the Japanese normal range of vitamin B12 it is very different than most other countries and apparently they have the lowest rates of dementia, which is a common problem from vitamin b12 deficiency.

• Posted

What a fantastic post, moon! You really sound as if you've managed to get on top of the reflux. I have heard that Esomeprazole works very well for some people, I think that it's supposed to be more potent? Sorry that you still have to watch your diet though but it's a small price to pay if you're feeling better. I think that Iam going to have to give the Lansoprazole another go because my throat is making swallowing very difficult indeed. It is only on a trial and error basis but it went badly last time and being unable to take Gavisvon at the moment removes my safety net if it all goes wrong. Anxiety makes everything much worse, doesn't it but I wasn't anxious until all this started really. I shall follow your advice with the vitamins .I am low on vitamin D and with losing such a lot of weight my bones don't look too robust! It is interesting what you say about B12. My friend who is a long term PPI taker was having terrible trouble with health issues until she found out how low her vitamin B12 had become.

Thanks again I shall no doubt be asking for your help in the future!

• Posted

There are more PPIs you could try, sometimes it is a matter of trial and error. Ask to try omeprazole maybe, lansoprazole does seem to be the one that has the least effect for patients on this website and if you had side effects from it, there are other PPIs you can try, speak to your doctor about the different types, don't settle for a medication that gives you such bad side effects if you could try another that may be better suited to you. I wish you luck, hopefully you can get things sorted eventually.

• Posted

Thanks,moon - I'm going to have to do something because life is intolerable like this. Hope all is well with you. Bye for now.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.