Lansoprazole and haitus hernia

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi all, 

I’m new to this but really need some advice. I’ve suffered from sever acid reflux with sickness since November and ended up in A&E as I started to vomit blood. It seemed to improve a little then 3 weeks ago it came back worse and I’ve been signed off work since. 

I had an endoscopy last weekend and they found a polyp in my oesophagus and a hiatus hernia and Imflmation and weakness to to stomach lining. They have put me on 30mg Lansoprazole twice per day so 60mg per day to repair the lining and reduce the acid for 6 weeks with the aim to reduce to 30mg after this time.

The problem is I’m a teacher and I’ve been on half term this week and need to make a decision if I’m going back on Monday by tomorrow. Since yesterday afternoon I’ve been experiencing diarrhoea every time I eat or drink and I’m still having bad pain in my stomach. I know these maybe side effects to the Lansoprazole and was wandering if anyone can advise me if these side effects subsided and how long it took. 

As well as working I have 3 children one of which had significant health problems herself. This is having a huge impact on my life as it’s not unusual for me to be constantly vomiting most mornings and in constant pain. I’m starting to feel really low, my dr has offered anti depressants but I really don’t want to get into a vicious cycle. 

Thanks in advance. 

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Could you get in contact with the foctof that prescribed you the medication and ask if you. Could try s different PPI medication there are different ones it's finding what suits you best I'm a lot like you I sldk have a daughter with health issues and it makes matters worse 

• Posted

Rebecca since I've stopped taking Lansoprazole I am almost back to myself I still have no real appetite. This week I was having pains in my leg bones none today.  I believe I suffered a reaction Diarrhoea for 3 weeks tiredness fever (after stopping the pill 1 week) constant stomach ache until Monday 12th this week I had to have Iron infusion at the hospital To counteract my stomach acid I take  Zantac back Going to buy Tumeric and pepper pills from Health shop 

• Posted

A couple of weeks ago I had a similar experience I coughed up blood and also had black stools for two days. I has an endoscopy and gastritis, hiatis hernia etc was found.  Dr thinks the violent coughing with the acid reflux attack caused it. 

Hope this helps.

• Posted

Honestly Rebecca 72929 I would stay at home and get fit if you can. I'm a teacher and know how tough the classroom and all the paperwork is. Give yourself time to feel well. It could be Lanza causing the problems but if it is it should settle down after a few weeks. Stay well

• Posted

I was out in that dose at one strange when the had a really bad flaw up of acid reflux if made me feel very sick I hazard to reduce it down to 30 mg a day and sad very healthy 
  • Posted

Hi Rebecca. Did you find a solution to your problems? Like you, I am experiencing a bout of bad reflux after being put on Lanzoprazole 2 weeks ago. I was diagnosed with a small hiatus hernia via endoscopy in January. Now, my previously controlled reflux is awful; lots of heartburn, nausea and loss of appetite. My anemia is also making me feel more ill as a result. Just wondering whether to stop taking them or plough on for a bit longer.
  • Posted

Hi,

I reply to all who state problems with the generic Lansoprazole & write with only my personal experience of antacids.

I was diagnosed with a small Hiatus Hernia around 2000 & various meds. were prescribed for me with a view to finding something that helped.

Eventually Zoton Fastab(main ingrediant Lansoprazole) was tried at 30mg morning & then 15mg as a maintenance dose, it worked a treat!

No more symptoms associated with acid reflux.

Since that time various GPs at the surgery, I guess attempting to reduce costs, have tried very hard to change me from Zoton Fastab to generic Lansoprazole, twice, over5 years, I tried not to be obstructive & twice I experienced horrible acid reflux symptoms, I felt really awful.

I fed this back to the surgery & was put back on Zoton Fastab, incidentally the receptionist quietly told me that I was not the only one.

Over the remaining years to this point GPs have tried to get me to change again to generic Lansoprazole to which I recounted previous problems & if they got pushy I basically gave the rational that I had the right to be continued on medication that was proven to work well for my condition & not be changed to something that did not.

I remain on Zoton Fastab & personally do not & have not suffered any ill effects from it, it works well for me but maybe a discussion with your GP or Consultant about switching to Zoton Fastab is the best way forward for anyone considering this medication.

I swear I am a genuine patient & have no connection whatsoever with the makers of Zoton Fastab.

It would be nice to hear if anyone does switch to Zoton Fastab & gains relief from said switch.

Regards,   DevonBoy.

• Posted

Who Devon boy I've had the same problem as you I was out on lansoprazole and had the same problems as you I had dreadful acid and couldn't eat anything I was thrn put on zonto fastab and it works well most the time for me I take 30 mg a day I am having side affects from it bones are thinning and some crumbling I get pain in joints but I don't know what else to take that will control it 

• Posted

Gillian 

I ate Pink Lady Apples that took my reflux away. When I came off Lansoprazole my kidneys hurt, I had shooting pains in my lower legs and couple other pains that I never had in my life before. I don't take anything now. I make sure the foods I eat and drink are low acid producing. Google what foods to eat. Apples were recommended for Acid and it worked for me.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.