Lansoprazole brain fog concentration problems?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Can ppi medications like lansoprazole cause brain fog and concentration problems? I have been on 30mg of lansoprazole for nearly 8 years and have been getting on and off brain fog concentration problems that can be so bad that I feel like I have a severe learning disability when I feel like this. Out of no where now and again its as if I can't concentrate at all and have really bad brain fog, it's such a debilitating feeling. I am just wondering if being on 30mg of lansoprazole for so long could be causing this? 

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Have you been on lansoprazole daily for 8 years, how old are you? Why don't you try to switch temporarily to H2 blockers for a month or so 150mg- 300mg and see if the brain fog disappears. If it stays, I doubt that it is from the PPIs

• Posted

I am 26, I was on omeprazole 20mg from 2009 until 2012 and then on lansoprazole 30mg from 2012 until now. I took the omeprazole and lansoprazole everyday until recently, the last few months I have just been taking a lansoprazole if the heartburn gets so severe I can't take it, so over the last few months I have usually only took lansoprazole once or twice per week. The last lansoprazole I took this week was on Tuesday and I woke up today with pretty severe heartburn, but I took some baking soda and water and the heartburn went away, but tonight the heartburn started getting pretty bad again and I took some baking soda and water again and the heartburn has went away again.

• Posted

i used to take  lans   30mg  a day but switched to ranidinte  150mg  per day plus sticking to a low carb diet  and i have found everything managable - if acid gets worse again i will try and work between the two - 8 years is a long time try and switch to raniditine and see how you go and whether the brain problems go.  i did find lans made me hot and cold at times and muscle pains.
  • Posted

William,

This is indeed one of the signs of magnesium deficiency which can be caused by chronic exposure to ppis.   If you are able, it is highly recommended to be on a magnesium supplement.  

Good luck. 

• Posted

This is exactly what I was trying to find out as I have been experiencing the same thing exactly. I have been on Lansoprazole since 2004. 

Now concentration is difficult especially when I try to study. This was never the case with me before. I had a sharp mind and when I set my mind to read something that’s just what I would do. I feel I have to use more effort while driving. It’s almost as if my mind jumps or races.

Now depending on when I take it in the morning, it also sometimes affects my mood.  

I know this because when I skip taking it my mood is fine. But then I have to put up with abdominal pain and reflux.

I always have it 10-30 minutes before food.

• Posted

My heart also races, it feels like it’s pounding. Been to the doctors and blood tests come back that all is fine. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.