Lansoprazole causing severe diarrhoea

Posted , 4 users are following.

a few years back a doctor prescribed lansoprazole to successfully relieve a recurring cough caused by acid reflux. since then when ever the cough recurs a few days on lansoprazole stops the cough, happy days.

last week however after taking just one tablet I got severe watery diarrhoea , which lasted a couple of days. (it did relieve my cough though). the cough has come back I've taken another tablet and shortly after eating I'm rushing to the toilet again with bad diarrhoea. has anyone any idea what's going on ?

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

I have been through all the "prazoles" for acid reflux and stomach erosions. I have ended up with chronic watery diarrhoea immediately after eating for a year now Gastrocopy and colonoscopy revealed nothing horrible so I have come to the conclusion I have to live with this as doctor has no idea what it can be.

• Posted

Every ppi causes me loose stools. Except its trapped diarrhea because I have severe ibs and no matter how loose the stools are they won't come out most of the time. So I end up with a bowel. full of a mixture of of loose stools and behind that hard stools. But they don't stop the actual reflux for me anyway. Just make me very bloated, give me stomach cramps make me feel sick.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.