Lansoprazole - chest muscle ache/pain

Posted , 27 users are following.

Hi,

I have been taking lansoprazole for about a week now as I was suffering from bad Heartburn/Indegestion and have noticed that my pectoral muscles are aching/painful.

I do work out from time to time but have done for quite a while and have never had this before due to my exercise and I haven't changed my exercise routine at all.

Has anyone else had this problem when taking these tablets or do they know whether this is a known side affect??

Any comments/advice would be greatly appreciatted,

Thankyou!

0 likes, 38 replies

38 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi I I've been taking Lans for 12yrs as my body produces quadruple the amount of acid than your normal person! my eyesight has deteriorated since I've been on lands and I've got a constant throbbing in my tummy and up my oesophagus! recently (10 months back) I started on Ranitidine and I'm still havin the same side affects, although the chest pains have stopped...I've acepted that this is the way it will always be, infact I'm used to feeling like this and don't remember how I felt before I started taking these tabs to cure my reflux :?

I wish you all well

Eddie

• Posted

For the the first month of taking lansoprazole I felt great! Didn't get any side effects and it really helped reduce the chest pain and acid I'd been suffering from. Then after a few more months on it I started getting strange symptoms. I was getting a twitching sensation right at the top of my stomach which sometimes was painful. I got really bad wind after eating and random aches in my body, usually in my arms.

The doc has now prescribed me ranitidine but this is even worse, although I've only been on it for a few days. It doesn't relieve the acid or chest pain and it makes me feel sick. Would much prefer the lansoprazole back at the minute.

• Posted

I have been having a problem with acid reflux for about a year since putting on weight, my gp first prescribed me Omeprazole, but these did not work for me, I took them for 2/3 weeks then he tried me on Zantac 300mg, these worked wonders for 4 months and then they stopped working for me, I think due to the fact that they are not really for long term use and my body got used to them, but my GP thinks they do not just stop working and that my acid reflux symptoms might have got worse instead (they do not feel worse!)

So he has prescribed me Lansoprazole 30mg to be taken in the morning before breakfast and oh lord, I have only been on them for 4 days and I am having some funny side effects, so annoying that I would rather have the acid relux (the tablets seemed to have helped the reflux, no inflammation of the Esophegus (sp?), still little niggles under my ribs though but is this because the tablets haven't been given time to work to their full potential yet?) My side effects seem to be funny twinges all over my stomach, left, right, aching back, twinges in my back, lower back ache, stomach spasms, horrible chest like spasms of twinge like pains almost constantly.

I like to sit and relax from 8pm onwards of an evening but over the past 3 nights I have not been able to, as I keep getting these twinges of discomfort all over my abdo, chest and back - it causes me to panic and worry what is wrong with me.

Well after night 4 (last night) of waking every few hours and feeling very uncomfortable (like gas pains) in my stomach and my lower back aching I have now decided to stop taking the med! I would rather have the acid relux symptoms than these, it is horrible.

I am glad I found this website as it has put my mind at rest that it is not due to some other illness, but is very likely to be the Lansoprazole, after all I did not have these symptoms until I started taking these damn tablets.

I am going to leave them off and see if I start to fee back to normal in the next few days and then go back and see my GP to see if, fingers crossed, he can try me on some other type of acid medication.

• Posted

Half an hour of googling showed me that there is a big problem with lansoprazole insomuch as you can take it for a while, feel better and then when you try to stop taking it you get a bad stomach and feel you must continue - caught in a cycle. I took it for eight weeks with very little side effects, then stopped and within 3 days was feeling very bad in my stomach, got a prescription for some more and took it again

and the pain in my stomach continued just the same but I also got bad pains in my legs, ears, nose etc! I felt terrible so stopped taking it. No point if you still have the original problem plus other ones too.

The wilkepedia page tells you that 46% of people who take pps have a problem coming off of them

because your stomach is not used to having acid in it. It can take THREE WEEKS for your body to adjust to this and be back to normal. Will try to manage without any ppis for now and only return to them if feel I just cannot cope without them - but not these - a different one. These are killers for me. Please feel free to contact me if you would like to discuss.

Emis Moderator comment: I removed the email address as we do not publish these. If users wish to contact each other directly please use the private message service.

• Posted

I have been prescribed Lansaprazole 30mg gastro-resistant capsules for gastritis, I have took 1 tablet and have started to have bouts of severe back muscle pains, similar happened on a previous occasion but not to this extent, any ideas?
  • Posted

It is helpful to read everyone's problems. I am having side effects  on taking my 5th and 6th set of drugs which are finally working

Omeprazole worked very well for 2 weeks then stopped onto Lanzoprazole 30mg once a ay - didn't work, Lanzo plus Ranitidie, didn't work - Ranitidine amde me feel sluggish. Lamzo and Domperidone - no help. Lanzo increased to 30mg twice a day - feeling awful and back to once a day - feeling better but still didn't work. During all this I reaslied that I was taking ACDAL D for my bones with my breakfast.  This is the same as Gaviscon which shouldn't be taken 2 hours eiterh side of teh antacid drugs.  Stopped taking that but it didn't help. Three weeks ago started to take Rabeprazole 20mg 1xday plus Metoclopramide 10mg 3xday. Can still feel the acid reflux when bending but less often and not painful or giving me asthma.

At last free from gullet pain and asthma caused by the acid reflux. However ...

Joint pain (mainly big toes, knees and back), can't concentrate. But more seriously for me is blurred vision. Typing this up in enlarged font is a struggle and I don't feel confident to drive. My optician tells me it is caused by dry eyes and not the meds but this and the other symptoms started 2 days into the new tablets.

Need to stop taking the tablets but how can I when the reflux is still occurring?  Am going to see a nutritioinst (privately) in the hope of controlling the acid by diet.

Has anyone tried a nutrisionist?

Is it best to go cold turkey or to gradually reduced the dosage/frequency of the meds?

Thanks for the opportunity to get this off my chest.

• Posted

I've been on Lanzoprazole for 3 months now due to a hiatus hernia and acid reflux. But for about the last week I've started getting terrible pain in my ribs on left hand side, I don't know if it's connected to my severe stomach Pain on the left but it definitely feels like my ribs. Going to see doctors next week so will see what they say about this. 
  • Posted

Prevacid worked great for me for a while. But all of a sudden it completely stopped working. So I spoke with my Dr. And we decided I should switch to omeprazole..( or prilosec) ive been on it for 2 years and 3 months and I havent had an ill symptom yet. It works great every day and doesnt have any side effects..well for me it doesnt! Sorry I couldnt have been of more help!! But I would definitely look into prilosec since your having problems with your current medication. 
  • Posted

Please let me know how you did on nutrition cause i have heard that when you come off this medication a good idea is to try cider vinegar and honey .Dont know if anyone else has had this some would be interested if it has been tried or other nutrtional ways. I do not want to take these pills for ever
  • Posted

Oh my god I can't belive what I'm reading I'm to taking this tablet for reflux an tummy pain it helps my tummy but I too get chest pains arm pains ect I'm going to stop taking it I took it this morning and will not be taking it again I also have pernious anima iron anima server low vit d I will have to find some thing else any one know if any natural things that could be took so glad I've found this coz them pills are going in bin 
  • Posted

I am really glad to have found this discussion as I am also taking both medications.

Having been on both for some months now and also having learnt so much about them I really would like to stop taking them but I live in fear of doing that as the pain I was feeling before taking them woud return.PPIs are definitely not the answer to our long term health but getting off of them can it appear be very difficult.Having had an endoscopy after which they could only tell me that my stomach was inflammed and not why I have been put on these meds but I am still regurgitating my food so they dont seem to be actually working for me.

• Posted

Hi all I thought I needed to post something on here as I've just came across something accidentally, I've been using lansoprazole for about 2 years and been having symptoms of aching muscles for about the same time, I never gave it a thought that it could be my meds and have been to the docs on many occasions had bloods that have came back all good,so docs have always put it down to stress, but I simply could not except this as I felt so rubbish all the time so as from about 3 weeks ago I started researching and thought I might have a gluten allergy so have been on a gluten free diet, well with this iv had no acid reflux and stopped using lanz so felt the best in years.After nearly 3 weeks and no pain I went out for a meal and took lanz just as a precaution well my symptoms came back so I now know that it's been the meds all this time and am not gluten intolerant so my advise is try a gluten free diet because this gets rid of the acid reflux so you will no longer have to take this medication and will not suffer any pain I hope this helps someone it's definitely helped me x

• Posted

I am so grateful to be reading this thread. I was started on Lansoprazole 7 days ago for ? Reflux/ hiatus hernia. Since starting them I have been crippled with lower abdominal pain, throbbing headaches and in the last 72 hours, unusual back pain, mostly between my shoulder blades. It's been making me very anxious as it comes and goes so I know it's not a pulled muscle. I'm fairly confident now having read peoples replies that it's down to this horrid tablet. I feel generally rubbish all over. Thank you to everyone who has taken the time to post their experiences and I hope everyone has positive outcomes from their conditions x

Regards

Keeley

• Posted

I took lans for about a week for extreme pain between mt rib cage and abdominen after the 3rd day i began to feel soreness and extreme muscles aches throughout my body especially left side area chest and lat area after the 5th day i completely got off it i have not been taking it for about a week now. Gradually but slowly my muscle pains are going away however ot to the extent where i have forgotten about it for the last 3 days i have been on magnesium tablets after extesive research i have found out that these antibacids reduce the magnesium in your body and also the magnesium transfer within the body to the vital organs and muscles hence the kidney pains also which i was experiencing after the magnesium i have felt much much better. My chest pains have almost definately dissapeared and tingling has completely gone i do have lower back pain still which is fading slowly. I advise anykne suffering to take magnesium tablets between 300 to 400mg daily for the next couple months and eat lots of magnesium containing foods like banana almonds spinach these are also alkaline products whoch will rude the acid in your body too. Good luck to everyone also anyone who is stil being forced to be on the anti acids i advise them to take anywhere between 600 to 700mg of magnesium daily bowever watchout for kidney pain as too much magneskum can create strain on the kidneys as far as my research tells me
  • Posted

I have been taking Lansoprazole for over six months for gastrointestinal ulcers I didn't have any side effects at first but now my muscles ache,and I feel weak and shaky,also I have started feeling panicky,I'm almost positive that I'm suffering from the side effects stated on the leaflet I'm taking 30mgs in the morning and 30mgs at night I'm hoping to see my Gastro Doctor this week as I'm now out of work and on the couch.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.