Lansoprazole long term side effects?

Posted , 13 users are following.

I started off taking 20mg of omeprazole In 2009 when I was 18 and took it basically everyday until 2012 when I was then switched to 30mg of lansoprazole. I have took lansoprazole basically everyday from 2012 to now. I am now 26 so have been taking a ppi basically everyday for the last 8 years. I suffer from anxiety and feel confused get concentration problems and blurry vision a lot and I am noticing I feel a lot better in the mornings before I take the lansoprazole. Recently I have realised that I seem to start getting these blurry vision concentration problems anxety about 30 mintues to an hour after I have took the lansoprazole? I am starting to think it is the lansoprazole that is giving me blurry vision, confusion, concentration problems and anxiety? I have tried to stop taking the lansoprazole recently and the heartburn was so severe I only lasted 3 days before I had to take the lansoprazole again. I tried anitacids when I tried to stop taking the lansoprazole and it only gave me very short mild relief. So I am just wondering coud the lansoprazole be causing these symptoms I describe? Are they bad news? Also does anyone know anyway I can wean off the lansoprazole without suffering such severe heartburn? Thanks

1 like, 29 replies

29 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi William ....I have got off lansoprazol by very gradually reducing dose. I now rely on gaviscon and Rennie's butdont have to take all time. Have taken diet in hand and seems 2 b working. This week plan to start regular swimming although I have pretty active life already. I tried going cold turkey first and had quite severe reaction so do try very slowly + it took me several months. Last three months I was opening the capsules and tipping out. half,, then 2 weeks later bit more until i stopped completely. Good luck + remember to take v.slowly and start life style changes as well! Coffee chocolate tomatoes and anything fried are my triggers. Good luck - its not easy but we can do it over time!

• Posted

I have been on Lansoprazole for approx 15 years, 30mg.  I tried to recently get off of it by taking the H2s but it wouldn't work.  I started cutting down the amount because I was up to 60 mg per day, went back to 30mg and then to 15 mg over time (several weeks).  Eventually I began to have terrible reflux symptoms, one night the worst episode ever.  I thought I was going to die.  So I went back to 30 mg per day, 15 mg in the morning and 15 mg at night.  I want to quit with the PPI because I have become anemic, have frequent episodes of shortness of breath, and have osteoporosis.  Overall I feel very sick, no energy, cannot do anything I used to.  Of course, I am a lot older (65 years).  I just think that I would have a lot better quality of life if I was not on this drug.  I am going to try again and take it very very slow this time, starting by taking 30 mg one day, 15 mg the next for several weeks.  Then go down a little more, like 15 mg a day for several weeks and see what happens.  At the same time I am going to use the H2s and take the vinegar.  My chiropractor told me to do the vinegar.  I wish you good luck with yours.  BTW, I drink a lot of coffee and it doesn't seem to bother me, while chocolate and tomatoe based foods do bother me (even on the meds).

• Posted

Hi Mary,

Was it the malnutrition that caused your shortness of breath? Did you ever have any testing for the cause? Did you have any abdominal issues with these symptoms, like distention or bloating?

Thanks

• Posted

Hi Mary,

Was it the malnutrition that caused your shortness of breath? Did you ever have any testing for the cause? Did you have any abdominal issues with these symptoms, like distention or bloating?

Thanks

• Posted

My regular doctor did blood work and it came back low in iron.  I don't eat a lot of veggies or red meats so I thought that was the problem but it could be the Lanzoprazole.  I have increased my intake of the correct foods and started taking vitamins.  I can't take iron pills.  I have had bloating in my stomach area for years.

• Posted

I went to the heart doctor for palpitations and he did all kinds of tests.  Said there is nothing wrong with my heart.  My regular doctor says the anemia will make me short of breath and since I have been eating better and taking vitamins, I do not notice it as much.
    • Posted

Thanks Mary, I've started taking a multivitamin as well as my Iron and magnesium, so we'll see if it helps my breathing. I also want to reduce the dose of the PPI. I'm on Dexilant 60 ATM, but it's so new I'm not sure if it has the same side effects. Based on the blood work, I assume it does.

• Posted

I have stopped the lansoprazole 30 mg medicine for many years and now

substituting apple cider vinegar - 1 tbsp in 8oz water morning and night. So far lots of heartburn and stomach and chest pain. Maybe tomorrow will be better.

• Posted

I’m going to try weaning off instead of cold turkey that didn’t work. Spastic esophagus as well as reflux came back with a vengeance. 
    • Posted

You can't stop cold turkey, it will come back like that, worse than ever. Same happened to me. Even weaning myself off caused that. It is very hard. Baking soda is full of sodium!

• Posted

Try baking soda, a half to a full spoon in a glass of water each morning. This will make your body more alkaline. Just like PPI’s this is not designed to be taken forever, but you can take it for two week stints, and it’s natural, not like those nasty Proton Pump Inhibitors 😬.

• Posted

I hope by now you are off the Lanzoprazole but if not I would like to report my success. I stopped taking the Lanzoprazole finally and started Ranitidine 150 mg (Zantac) twice per day. Sometimes I have to take a third one during the day if I eat too much or something too spicy. I have not had any bad spells. I have been off the PPI for months and have been pleasantly surprised. I did not have an ulcer or anything like that, just a messed up flap on my esophageous which I was born with I believe. I had severe hard burn at times when my gastrointerologist put me on Lanzoprazole. He kept saying the acid coming up in my throat would cause cancer so thats why I kept taking them but in recent years I have had so much trouble with tendons wearing out or tearing, muscle problems, vision problems, and heart palpitations, I decided that the PPI could be the culprit and I was determined to be rid of them. It has taken several attempts of trying to wean myself off and this final try with replacing them with the Zantac, but I believe I have done it! Once in a while when I eat the wrong thing or too much of something, I get nervous especially if I am about to go to bed for the night. I hate trying to sleep upright so I take a little bit of baking soda in a little water and usually don't have any more problem. Those times are rare. I am now concentrating on repairing the damages making sure my magnesium levels are good (heart palpitations) and strengthening and repairing my tendons and muscles. Unfortunately the tendons in my feet are not repairable so I am forced to wear braces on my ankles for the rest of my life but Praise God I can still walk. If anybody who reads this is still taking the Lanzoprasole, I pray you will switch over to the Zantac. If you don't, you may end up like me and not only have horrible reflux but also lose the ability to enjoy life because of its eventual debilitating side affects.

• Posted

Replace with the 150 mg Zantac (Ranitidine) but ONLY AFTER CONSULTING WITH YOUR REGULAR DOCTOR. (Addendum to my previous reply of today)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.