Lansoprazole - new starter or should I?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi. i`ve told by the doctor I need to go onto Lansoprazole for life.

My condition I think is misdiagnosed as I think I have Achalasia (cardiospasm) as I have small episodes weeks/months apart of not being able to swallow. The food does get "stuck" in my throat and salvia won`t go down. To the only way to clear is be violently sick! This can last between 5 min to 30 min (last epside of 4 hours led me to the doctors). However, it has not occured for the last 6 weeks. I had a tube put down me but nothing conclusive found. I suffer acid reflux only now and again and wouldn`t say any more than a "normal" person. So, I`m not sure why doc is putting me on 30mg Lansoprazole?? I`ve not started taking these yet because I have an outpatient meeting with a nurse who I will discuss with first and then approach doctor if need be. Any advice please? Perhaps Lansoprazole stops Achalasia or the stomach "flap" not opening. I`m just not convinced and don`t want to start some meds if I don`t need them - certainly not for a lifetime and not when I don`t suffer really bad indisgestion. I do have one bad habit, and that`s eating food late before bed, and the odd curry doesn`t help either. Time for some lifestyle changes me thinks! Thanks JJ

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Please don't take it until you get several opinions, all PPIs can cause B12 deficiency, also deplete the body of minerals, possibly Calcium, magnesium, possibly put pressure on your liver (fatty liver). It's not healthy to be killing all acid in your stomach as acid plays an important role in your body, obviously too much is bad, but so is no stomach acid. It doesn't sound to me that you should be on those meds, you are definitely right to question this. Please be careful. 👍😁

• Posted

Thanks Gillian68. I'll wait to get more info from the nurse and form my decision. Do I have the right to challenge my doctor?

• Posted

Yes, it's your prerogative. Doctors are often wrong with their diagnosis and medicines they prescribe.

• Posted

Sorry to hear this.  Definitely do some research before going into meet the nurse/doctor, ask questions and challenge.  I challenge my doctors all the time now.  I wish I had done that earlier.   Most doctors like to marry a disease state with a drug and think they have done their job.  In this case, my guess is that the PPI is being used to address possible symptoms and not going towards addressing the achalasia itself.  I would definitely get a second or even third opinon.
  • Posted

Ok nurse has said I definitely don't have Alcalsia but have mild Barrett's oesophagus and Eosinolphillic Oesophagitis. Whilst I told her I wasn't taking my prescribed  lamprazole, she said that was my decision but "maybe try one every other day".Why? My acid problems are no way affecting me and very mild, judging by those on this forum.! I still haven't taken any. For my EO condition, I take Flixotid, swallowed, not inhaled. This is a steroid. For the few days I taken this, my swallowing has improved. I know it will only now be controlled for rest of my life, I'm hoping I don't need to start on the Lamprazole....... 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.