Lansoprazole/Omeprazole - Side Effects - Help Please.

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi all,

I had a groin strain (which turned out to be a hernia, but that's another story), so my GP told me to take Ibuprofen, to help with the pain and inflammation, all this did was cause terrible indigestion, so was put on omeprazole for two weeks, 20mg, this seemed to work for a few weeks and then it came back.

So I was put on an increased dose, 80mg, this eased the indigestion but seems to be causing all sorted of other issues.

• A pretty much constant pain in my right abdomen, just below the ribs, with lesser occasional pain on the right side and in the centre.
  • Constipation, darker stools and more straining hence some piles have arrived.
  • Pain in some of my muscles, particularly in my legs, arms and shoulders.
  • Back pain, both lower and upper, although more so lower.
  • Pain in my glutes.

I have since been switched to Lansoprazole, 60mg, and that seems to of made no difference. Had a gastroscopy and an ultra sound and seems there is nothing majorly wrong but thats not easing the discomfort much.

Has anyone else had any such symptoms? Or any other?

Be good to hear back as I think I need to get off these things.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Are you still on the ibuprofen?

• Posted

Why are you still on the PPIs then are you still getting indigestion?

• Posted

Yes, although I stopped the ibuprofen back in July the indigestion kept coming back so I was put on various courses of ppi's. After the first lot it seems ok but during the second course I started to get pains, then I was put on a much higher dose to beat the indigestion but that failed and the side effects seemed to get worse. Seen plenty of GP's and none of them have mentioned any of my pains could be from ppi's.

Had more blood tests than you can shake a stick at, all fine.

One GP said it was from muscle between the ribs being imflammed and another said it was a back up due to constipation. It may well be but from what I read on other posts could well be ppi's causing it.

I'm going to drop to one tablet every other day to start with, as cold turkey looks to cause issues.

• Posted

Are you taking any other medication or supplements? If you have stopped the ibuprofen but you are still getting indigestion you need to find the cause. Certain tablets can cause problems as well as certain foods or drinks. Do you smoke? that can also be a cause.

If you are going to quit your PPIs what you are doing by cutting down the dose is more advisable than just stopping completely. Rather than taking your meds every other day just take a lesser dose every day. I would recommend esomeprazole 20mg a day. It is the most effective PPI so taking a lower dose will work better for you. Lanzoprazole in my opinion is useless, it is the least effective PPI so you have to take more and therefore get more side effects.

Can I recommend you ask your gp for a FIT test to check for blood in your stools. Just because you mentioned your stools were darker and you are getting pain. This test only detects human blood rather than blood that can come from meat you may have eaten.

• Posted

hi. I've been diagnosed with gallstones and a hiatus hernia plus sinus problems. I've been taking omeprazole and lansoprasole both not helping at all. i don't get any acid but lots of up pressure from my right side of my stomach. and most the places you have mentioned. I'm totally lost with my GP practice I'm leaving them as soon as possible. I've look at the pills we have been on and can cause you more problems than not. reply when you can regards Peter

• Posted

Yep, they seem to be nasty things, I've been thinking all sorts of nasty things could be wrong but after seeing similar things happening to others on this site i'm quite sure its these blinking pills.

I've got little or no faith in my GP either, mentioned the pains a lot and not one GP mentioned it could be a side effect.

May try to swap to a none PPI pill such as ranitidine.

Been on the things 3-4 months so may take a little while to get off them, may have to slowly reduce the dose.

• Posted

Just an update, I have been off the things for 14 days now, no noticeable extra issues from stop taking them apart from a little extra reflux when I don't watch what I eat.

Although there has been no noticeable improvement yet in any of the problems I was having which may of been side effects of omperazole.

Getting my hernias repaired in a couple of days and having a CT scan tomorrow which hopefully will point to the problem.

Still not drinking and never smoked, did an online bowel cancer testing kit and that came back negative.

Still getting lots of pain in the upper abdomen though. For the next couple of weeks may try to exclude certain food types, certainly all high fat foods and probably to avoiding sugar and bread too.

See how that goes.

• Posted

I have just come across this forum and I an thankful as I need advice. I saw my doctor around 2 months ago for bad daily heartburn, they put me on Lanzoprazole for a course of a month and it worked perfectly no issues. After the course ended I left it and within 4 days the heartburn was back. Another Dr trip and another course started. Now the issue... after a few weeks again taking the tablets, i missed a couple of days and then 5 days ago started taking them again... now for 3 days ive had really bad stomach pain around my belly button..what should i do? could the tablets be causing this? pls help cant contact my doctor as its the weekend. Thanks.

• Posted

hello nip to the NHS web site on side effects on lansoprasole. make sure its is the NHS regards Peter

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.