Lansoprazole severe dry mouth

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi, i was wondering if anyone has had a similar experience with Lansoprazole....

I have taken Lansoprazole in the past when my GERD has flared up and had no problems with it. My GERD started to flare badly about a month ago, probably because I hadn't been taken so much care with my diet and been a bit indulgent, which was my own fault. When my symptoms started to flare (feeling of something stuck in my throat, difficulty swallowing), I whipped out the Lansoprazole and started taking 30mg a day as the symptoms were quite bad. This usually settles everything down after a few days. After about a week things did start to ease but on about day 10 of taking it my mouth suddenly became extremely dry to the point i was struggling to talk and eat. I spoke to my GP and he didn't seem to think it would be the Lansoprazole. Anyway, it got so bad I decided to stop taking it altogether. The dry mouth gradually improved but my GERD symptoms returned with vengence so I decided to start taking the Lansoprazole again but at the lower dose of 15mg. My GERD symptoms again started to improve but on day 8 of taking it the severe dry mouth has returned and its so bad. I spoke to a different GP and they also didn't think it could be the Lansoprazole, even though its listed as one of the common side effects on the medication leaflet. I really don't know what to do as have never experienced this in the past when taking Lansoprazole but I cant see what else it would be as I've changed nothing else and no other medications. The dry mouth is very severe I am barely eating and even drinking water seems to dry my mouth out more.

Has anyone else experienced similar?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Ask to try another ppi see if that helps, I would recommend esomeprazole.

• Posted

you could try a different PPI medication see if it improves the side effects

• Posted

Hi i am having a similar problem with lanzoprazole did you try a differenr PPI?

• Posted

I take 20 mgs Omeprazole for an ulcer and wake up with dry mouth many mornings. I take a few gulps of water and it seems to go away.

• Edited

hi there, snap.. although the dry mouth started almost immediately for me. I'm always susceptible to side effects though, so u can guarantee I'll get the common ones... I couldn't eat, felt like my tongue had coating of sand on it.. eating bread I had to have a mouthful of water after each bite. I stopped it for 2 days and felt better but the reflux, burning, lump in throat came back with a vengeance so I've popped one this morning... it also makes me constipated, which in turn makes me not wanna eat .. #viciouscircle 🥴

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.