Liver function very slightly abnormal gp stopped omeprazol in agony

Posted , 6 users are following.

4 blood tests all showing very slightly raised liver function.  Gp told me (14 year use) to just stop my 20mg omeprazol that I was just doing fine on.  

First week tolerable and just chewing the occasional tummy. By the end of week two with constant calls to gp in horrendous pain ! chest pain upper and lower stomach pain, bloating, no gas! No let up couldn’t stand it any more, starting new job Monday with no chance of me being able to go in.

Gave in tonight and took 1 x 20mg waiting to feel better.  Really really scary stuff! What will happen now? 

So scared right now!  NEVER. Been in this kind of discomfort or pain when originally going on this medication 

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Did the GP not give you a strategy to taper off?   Perhaps a combination of anntacids and H2 antagonists.  I believe H2s have very low Are trying to quit cold turkey?   That seems harsh and unrealistic.  Sorry you are going thru this.   Best of luck.  
    • Posted

I was shocked ! No no tapering just stop! I’m in to hour 2 all my symptoms gone apart from  stomach irritation from having to take ibuprofen for the stomach pain which has now aggravated my stomach!  
    • Posted

Unfortunately, many GPs (and even my GI dr) do not how to give advice on this matter.  Many still do not believe that chronic use of PPIs does not result in any significant side effects (I beg to differ).  The typical stuff you hear is avoid triggers and watch position while laying down.  I have been on the PPI board for a long time and there are some good insights and which one might work for you is really a guess.  I can share with you how I got off PPIs after 4 years of taking lansoprazole 30mg everyday for GERD.  I had to ask for blood work and a confirmatory endoscopy done to make sure I did not have any sort of inflammatory/erosive damage/cancer before I started the taper (this is very important).  MY GP said I could taper but did not offer any suggestions.  I started by experimenting with my PPI dose.  Taking less as well as taking it less frequently over months.  Sometimes I had to go back and take a higher dose.  During bad episodes of reflux, I used a combination of H2 antagonist (like Zantac) and/or antacids/sodium bicarbonate.  I believe that Zantac has very little affects on liver function/enzymes but you can check your GP about this.  When I felt that it was a little better I started looking in non-drug options.  This next step is somewhat controversial but what helped me get over the hump was apple cider vinegar.  Some people are very opposed to it b/c you are adding more acid to an already acidic environment (I completely understand; I get criticized for this).  For me, I thought that ACV promoted the gastric emptying process a lot quicker which meant less chance of reflux back up into your esophagus/sphincter.  This is a just a theory but it made sense for me and I have seen this discussed on this board and during Google searches.  I know this a lot of info which is probably making you more apprehensive but I hope you can use some of this info during your GP visit.  One more thing, if your GP did not recommend taking some sort of vitamin/mineral supplement while on PPIs, you should ask him about it.  Years of "hypo acidic" environment can affect the absorption of the aforementioned and can lead to other health issues.  Each person reacts/recovers differently but don't lose hope.  It's OK to question your GP.  I think for too many years, GPs have gotten a pass b/c we as patients aren't asking enough questions.  This was me.  Good luck and I hope you will come back and post an update.   

• Posted

Thank you for your advise.  At the moment I need to recover from the horrific symptoms I have endured for days! 24-7.  Once my body is feeling better I will take on board what you are recommending.  I NEVER !!! Wanna feel that unwell again.  Will keep you posted on gp call tomorrow and what he now recommends.  Would you advise aloe Vera juice ? 
    • Posted

I have not tried aloe vera juice for GERD but it certainly does taste good.  If you do, I would recommend that you find a high pure quality variety.  If you are going for anti-inflammatory/healing properties of aloe, I would recommend the oral aloe vera gel dosage form (not the topical kind).  It's the whole leaf variety that is suitable for oral consumption.  I have used the gel for oral consumption and can't say for sure if it helped but in theory it makes good sense.  It's thick, clear and viscous.  Not the best tasting stuff but it may be worth a shot.  

• Posted

I recently had a visit with my GI for a diverticulitis attack. In my visit I mentioned I have been on Prilosec OTC for 3 1/2 yrs. He told me " We would have to wean me off" As I was in a lot of pain, he said we will address it later. He sent me for xrays and bloodwork due to the diverticulitis. When he called me with results he noted all was ok. Although he said he wants to redo my bloodwork. I have access to my lab results. There were several levels that were connected to liver functions that were of of range. I am due to see him in a few weeks. I asked more about damage to my kidneys. When I tried to get off Prilosec the heartburn was horrible. I have been diagnosed with GERD which is why he put me on Prilosec.

• Posted

Yes I too have GERD that’s why I’m on omeprazol.  Can’t believe what the Gp has put me through
    • Posted

I am going to insist we taper off but I know I will need something for the GERD.
    • Posted

There is no other way caseysue!! Can’t tell you how much better I feel this morning! My god that was a horrendous experience!! And will have something to say to the gp!!! 
  • Posted

I've been on Lansoprazole for decades now, and have extraordinarily low Feratin levels. I am told that the low Iron has made my RLS much worse. I kick, not twitch, and my arms and hands join in sometimes. I had a Feratin infusion recently - blood test today to see what effect it has had on my Iron levels. For a week, my RLS improved - but - my acid reflux increased and I had to up my dose of Lansoprazole. I take 15mg ( should be 30mg but I cope well on 15 normally ). Tremendous burping. After a week the RLS returned and I woke at midnight with a dull pain around my appendix. This pain got bad enough to call an ambulance. It stopped once they arrived. So far nothing has been found.  A messy and confused story. I hope to know more later this week. Does anyone else have an association with Restless Leg Syndrome ( Which could be called short term recurrent spatisism ). I take Sifrol for the RSL - more and more as augmentation sets in. Lyrica started my addiction ( as it is now ) to RLS medication. DON'T START Lyrica - ever. Hope this story rings a bell with someone !

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.