Long Covid, raft of symptoms yet no answers and no support

Posted , 5 users are following.

The only uplift I've had from long covid, was seeing someone else write about their experiences, and I was like, 'finally! someone else knows!' So I'm going to write my experiences and frustrations too, add them to the pile of stuff that's 'out there.'

Since I got covid 4 months ago, I've never been right. I describe it as 'good days' and 'bad days'. For the first couple of months, I would swing between days of heavy-limbed tiredness, irritability, intense thirst and hunger, random headaches that can last all day... aand 'good days' where I was fairly symptom free.

Toward the end of month 3, I had a week, one week of 'good days' and it reminded me what it's like to be me! That shot of regular life feeling was enough for me to really see the difference, it's like night and day. That week of good days was followed by two weeks of bad days, now there's barely a break in the clouds, and I gotta say the symptoms are getting worse.

I'm 49, but through looks/energy/vibe, I've often been taken for being in my mid thirties. Now I feel like I'm in my frakkin' 60s ><

My GP won't actually see me, because they're only taking emergency appointments, and have been for two years now. I called 111, and got a callback from a doctor, who easily diagnosed long covid, only to say I had to get a referral from my GP to the Long Covid Clinic.... which, ofc, I cannot do because my own GP won't take that kind of appointment.

At my work, I asked for a reduction in hours. I worked a lot before, 40-50 hours per week... now it's more like 30-40 per week. But I'm still struggling. i asked for a further hours reduction, but I can't get it. At every level, they say dumb things: My manager, 'you sound like you want to leave.' Her boss: '40 hours goes with your job title, we've done all we can.' His boss, 'yes, let's get you to your GP to see if you're fit for work,' .... well.. that's something else I can't do >< ... aaaand, her boss from Head Office, 'things will seem better when the summer sun comes out.'

I'm trying to cut down eeeevertying that takes effort, so that I can make it through these days, sometimes spending my whole weekend in bed, sleeping/napping/dozing... for the simple reason, that I can't move! I can sit in a chair, but it's .. head tips back, muslces are heavy, there's nothing I can do.... so I end up going back to bed! I arranged with my laundrette to deliver/pick up washing loads, so that I don't have to. The manager of the laundrette was interested in why I wanted this, and I told him about the long covid. He gave me a doubtful look.

I'm draggging myself thru these days. I expected every day.. every week... that this would just clear up... I understand that people have reported 6 months or more, I get that its a marathon. But 4 months in, and the symptoms are getting worse. Now I'm hearing there are lots of people who have had this one or two years, and we dont know if the effects are lifelong in some cases, because we've only got two years of examples to go on.

I climb stairs every Friday morning, I work in a three storey building just on that particular day. Just as I get to the top, I cough, I always do, and I'm coughing up phlem. Proper, yellow/infected level of stuff is coming up. It's the only time I cough powerfully enough to bring stuff up from my lungs... but every week, without fail, I'm getting this sign of infection from my lungs! What is that about!? How can I have a live infection, week after week like that?

There's always an extra drain on my system, I can feel it, adding weight to my limbs, tightening my chest, making my breath and body labour over simply walking, or any kind of activity that was once so easy that the effects of it wouldn't even register on my awareness. Now they leave me worn out.

Even on good days, I'm massively conscious not to overdo things. I've tried exercise to get my body toward fitness quicker, but it takes an entire week to recover from that. Good day + too much activity = loooong string of bad days afterwards.

It's almost intolerable, and yet everyone reacts with shrugs or disbelief. I'm glad there's something of a community for this, damn, finally sane responses!

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

this is me! the good days + too much = relapse is a perfect way of putting it!

keep thinking im going mad or somehow making it all up!

• Posted

this is me! the good days + too much = relapse is a perfect way of putting it!

keep thinking im going mad or somehow making it all up!

• Edited

I've had Covid 3 times since December 2020 and now have an array of different post covid manifestations.

First, I now have Vertigo. It's a common post covid side effect. I was diagnosed with that a couple weeks after having it the first time and still have bouts of it but my Dr. prescribed Meclezine (spelling?) for that which helps greatly with the dizziness and nausea.

A week before I had it the first time I developed these lesions on my feet that looked like red angry blisters. They showed up between my fingers too. It was painful and there were/are days when I can't wear shoes. It disappeared after I recovered from Covid but then reappeared each time I had Covid again (which was 2 more times after the first time)...AND because I am autoimmune anyway, it pops up now when I so much as get the sniffles.

I also have this weird thing that happens to my face. It too happened a week before I had Covid the first time....and spontaneously happens ever since.

First my eyes will become blood shot. Then my face will turn a fiery red like I had been scalded and become so very hot. My face gets puffy...my eyes get puffy...And then the next day it's completely gone. BUT ...the weirdest thing is two weeks later my face will peel like I had literally been burned.

I also get these wicked headaches and still have a residual "brain fog". There are days too that I feel so fatigued.

My Dr. is stumped. He doesn't know what is happening. Here in Tennessee though, Ivermectin is becoming available as an "over the counter" medication and I'm going to take it. I truly believe that Covid is still playing "the mean girl" inside of my body and the Ivermectin will get rid of it hopefully once and for all....If not, who knows how long I'll have to deal with this...

I hope you feel better and I hope this helps!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.