Long term side effects from PPIs?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I was taking H2s and PPIs for 5+ years.  Luckily I was able to taper myself off.  Over the last year I have been struggling with weakness/sitffness/pain in back/chest/legs/abdomen.  I was wondering if anybody else is stuggling with this?  My thinking is that my muscles are magnesium depleted which makes my increase calcium activity which results in muscle tightness.  I am trying mag supplements (oral and topical), epsom salt baths.  I have my good days and bad days but wondering if there is something else worth trying.

2 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Why didn'tt you go for a blood test for magnesium, iron, calcium, B12, basically vitamins and minerals??

You were 5 + years on PPIs, what dosage? If you were on a high dosage then no wonder you've got some nutrient defficiency. 

Go for a blood sample and then you'll be smarter..

• Posted

I did get a comprehensive blood panel done October 2016 ordered by an endocronolgist and there were some deficiencies but nothing significant.  Mineral levels fine.  Kidney and liver functions fine.  No evidence of muscle (protein) breakdown.

Have you experienced any of the symptoms I mentioned?

• Posted

I'm 25 have bee on PPIs since the age of 19, 20. No side effects so far. 

Since your blood is fine you can't make conclusion that your a deficient in magnesium since you actually aren't. You didn't say which dosage of which brand/generic PPIs were you on?

If you need to stay on them for good then switch to another brand or maybe switch to h2 blocker and see if your condition improves over 2 weeks.

• Posted

Why were you taking acid suppressants and why did you stop? Were they prescribed or over-the-counter? Were you monitored by a doctor?

Taking too high dose PPIs over a long time can induce hypochlorhydria resulting in malabsorption of some essential minerals. If they had been causing you to be lacking in magnesium or calcium through hypochlorhydria, you would have noticed the symptoms then, not now when your acid levels should be normal.

There are many possible causes for your pains. Unlikely to be due to a prior history of short term use of PPIs but discuss it with your doctor and ask for your magnesium levels to be tested if you've convinced yourself that's what is wrong with you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.