LONG TERM USE OF OMEPRAZOLE

Posted , 1 user is following.

I have been on these for 15 years as I was diagnosed with oesophagitis and initially thought they were absolutely magic; suddenly I could eat and drink anything without getting the dreaded heartburn.

However, for the past few years I have been feeling so unwell with many different symptoms including dizziness, neuropathy in feet and legs, chest pain, anxiety, heart palpitations, nausea, headaches and it is getting worse.

I know that current thinking is that people should only be on them for a short time, but I just get told that if I don't take them it will make the oesophagitis worse and cause damage to my throat.

I am sure they are doing me harm, but the problem is there is nothing to take instead that stops the acid. I used to take Ranitidine, but that was withdrawn a couple of years ago, so basically the only things available are OTC remedies such as Gaviscon etc and they don't help me at all.

Has anyone successfully managed to get off these tablets without suffering the misery of constant heartburn and reflux?

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.