Looking for info

Posted , 6 users are following.

My doctor just referred me to an oncologist for "acquired polycythemia" Naturally I've been trying to read up on it bevofore my appointment in 2 weeks. I can't believe that I would have such a rare disease. Other than increasing fatigue the last 12-18 months I am mostly in good health I'm a little overweight by maybe 30 pounds. I had a stress test a year ago and my heart is good. I don't smoke. I drink in moderation. I did have an episode of gout in one toe last year. But it's cleared up. My biggest complaint is how tired I am. I can't even explain it. Feels like my whole insides just no longer have any energy. I really have to push myself some days. My labs have been elevated for several years. Here are my most recent tests results. I just want to feel good again. I feel like it's all in my head. sad

HEMATOCRIT 37.0 - 47.0 %

7/13/15 - 48.8H

2/13/17 - 48.8 H

5/9/17 - 50.4 H

HEMOGLOBIN 12.0 - 16.0 g/dL

7/13/15 - 16.4 H

2/13/17 - 16.6 H

5/9/17 - 17.0 H

RBC 4.20 - 5.40 10*12/L

7/13/15 - 5.48 H

2/13/17 -5.60 H

5/9/17 - 5.77 H

RDW 11.0 - 15.0 %

7/13/15 - 12.4

2/13/17 -14.2

5/9/17 - 14.3

PLATELET COUNT 150 - 450 10*9/L

7/13/15 - 218

2/13/17 -225

5/9/17 - 247

RDW 11.0 - 15.0 %

7/13/15 - 12.4

2/13/17 -14.2

5/9/17 - 14.3

WBC 4.8 - 10.8 10*9/L

7/13/15 - 6.3

2/13/17 -4.5 L

5/9/17 - 9.2

0 likes, 28 replies

28 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I don't have all my tests results back yet and don't see the oncologist until next week, but some of my results have posted on my online chart.

Abdominal ultrasound- no seen abnormalities

My RBC, hemoglobin, and hematocrit are all still high as they have been for 3+ years.

Iron - 96 (39-150)

Ferritin - 45 (8-252)

TIBC - 477 (241-421) H

Transferrin Saturation % - 20 (15-50)

From looking at my TIBC I think hemochromatosis will probably be ruled out?!?!

Does PVR affect your iron counts?

I hate the waiting game, but I am thankful for being able to see my lab tests online.

Have a good day!

Tammie

• Posted

It's already been almost a month since i posted this. Time goes by quickly even for an impatient patient.

Well my JAK2 was negative. Still waiting on other labs. In the meantime I have a bone marrow biopsy scheduled for next Wednesday. Will follow up with my doctor July 5th for those results.

Tammie

• Posted

Hi Tammie'

It's a slow process isn't it.  Being cleared of JAK2 is step forward but you'll need to get the results for PV through before you can rest on your laurels.  

As for the biopsy, if you are in any way concerned about this mention this beforehand to the doctor who completes the test.  Usually one receives a pain-killing injection before the biopsy takes place.  It may be a little uncomfortable but it should be painless.  It is an important test for you and is needed by the doctors to clarify your results.  It is quickly over.  If you do not test positive for PV it is all for the best but obviously you do need to know what is causing your difficulties.  Your iron counts should not pose any problem but with PV some things can and do go a bit haywire.  Iron can be adjusted if necessary by the medics but ask the doctor if you are unsure as some patients have encountered increasing levels.  I have never had a problem with iron.  Best wishes.

Peter.

• Posted

Thanks Peter. They are actually sedating me for the test. Which i am super happy about. smile

And yes it is a long process. I'm guessing if nothing shows in my bone marrow we will test for sleep apnea. I snore very little though and not often. I'm assuming for sleep apnea to be affecting your oxygen levels it would have to be pretty chronic. The only thing after that would possibly be a tumor?!?!

Is it possible for some people to just have high red blood counts in all three areas and not have any underlying conditions?!?!

• Posted

Hello Tammie,

Thanks for your message.  You are right that apnoea can be a serious matter but more generally it is not a big problem.  It is caused by a restriction in the air channels when one sleeps.  I have a family member who has  gone through all the tests for this without difficulty.  There was never a fault with the oxygen supply but one can never really rule anything out when it comes to body disorders.  I would not speculate on what might be causing your symptoms it is something for the professionals to consider.  It is the red blood cells that carry the oxygen around the body and these can be affected by various disorders relating to other organs involved in this process eg.lungs, kidneys etc.  I would expect you to undergo further tests if your results are returned PV negative.  See what your haematologist has in mind if PV is not your diagnosis.  It is a disorder nobody really wants to have to deal with.  Trust all is well with you.

Peter.

• Posted

Hey there, have you had your results already? Best

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.