Low Blood Pressure On Hydromorphone Contin. Should I be concerned?

Posted , 2 users are following.

After exhausting all non-opioid options, my Physician has placed me on Hydromorphone Contin.

?I was first given a number of short acting opiates, which proved to be rather ineffective. Last prescribed was short acting Hydromorphone @ 8 mg's, four times a day. Yesterday, was switched to Hydromorphone Contin @ 12 mg's, every twelve hours. Plus, short acting Hydromorphone @ 8 mg's, twice a day, as needed. 

?I took my first dose of Hydromorph Contin yesterday afternoon at four. My second dose, twelve hours later at four in the morning. When I awoke at around nine this morning, I was pleasantly surprised that my pain was at the best it has been in the last two years.

?Only one problem, in that I was feeling a little dizzy, lightheaded and a bit 'high'. I decided that I would take my blood pressure. It was unusually low at 86/56. Waited ten minutes, took it again, and it still was quite low at 88/57. I had been taking the short acting Hydromorphone @32 mg's/day for approximately one month, as of my Doctor's appointment yesterday, when my blood pressure reading was 122/83; typical of my average reading. I thought that my blood pressure machine may be off, so I took my daughter's blood pressure which read 115/78, which is in her normal range. 

That brings about the following questions:

1. Is that blood pressure reading dangerously low? 

?2. Could the low blood pressure readings be attributable to an adapting phase to the Hydromorphone Contin? Normal?

?3.  I am due to take my next Hydromorphone dose within the next two hours. If my blood pressure is still as low as it has been, should I take my next dose as scheduled?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Campaigner8

That is a low blood pressure. Have you checked the Information Leaflet that came with the meds for side effects..such as low blood pressure..it may say if your blood presure is low to discontinue the meds......best wishes....

• Posted

If the Info leaflet does not mention anything about low blood pressure as a side effect....i would be inclined to discontimue until i spoke with doc.....
  • Posted

A quick update:

Thanks for your replies. 

?Lilian, you asked if I had checked the information leaflet that comes with the meds. I am totally at fault there, as I threw them away. A bad idea for sure. That reminds me of a fairly high end power conditioner that I purchased for my stereo system. On the first page, it had written in huge letters "RTFM!" I know my health is not comparable to a stereo component, but you get my point?

I talked to my Pharmacist, and she told me that the low blood pressure was in all likelihood caused by the Hydromorph Contin, and would rectify itself in time. To be on the safe side, she urged me to make an appointment with my Physician. Also, to not take any more Hydromorph Contin until my Doctor gave me the go ahead. . 

?I had already taken my four in the afternoon dose. My Pharmacist didn't return my call until 4:15, and my Doctor's office closes at 4:00. I thought I would monitor myself and call for an appointment first thing Friday morning. Under worst case scenario, I could have gone to Urgent Care, or Emergency if my blood pressure continued to slide. 

?

My blood pressure continued to stay low, but not as low as it had been. At eight last night, my blood pressure reading was 114/62. This morning, I got up and took it again. The reading was 108/65. Other than feeling a little dizzy and high, I felt my blood pressure was not low enough to make an appointment with my Doctor at this time.  

?I decided to go to work as per usual. Being that I felt a little dizzy and high, I felt it was the right decision to have my wife drive me to work, and hopefully pick me up. Will continue to monitor my blood pressure daily, but I'm pretty certain that the Pharmacist was correct.

Take Care, 

Campaigner8

• Posted

Hi campaigner8

Glad you got to see the pharmacist for info about the low blood pressure..it is still low... keep an eye on it...if it goes lower be sure to contact your doc..by the way what does 'RTFM'..excuse my ignorance!.....

• Posted

Hi lilian05079,

?It may have been a little harsh considering the money I forked out for the electronic equipment, but I do believe they were correct in saying:

First step is,  'RTFM', which is "Read The F--k-- Manual"

• Posted

Hi Campaigner8

Oh! I see...well hope you take it on board for when you get meds in future😊....best wishes...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.