Magensium Deficiency and Omeprazole

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have been taking Omeprazole for many years, mainly to protect my stomach from the occasional use of Naproxen for arthritis.  I take max dosage now as I was diagnosed with a small hiatus hernia about 12 months ago.  Over the last few months I have had the odd episode of feeling a little sick, slight right side pain and generally feeling under the weather.  I had my gall bladder removed 8 years ago so not that.  GP sent me for a stomach, liver, spleen and pancreas scan all OK.  Great news.  However I still felt "off" and developed the odd ache and pain in my joints.  I'd joined a gym (to get some weight off to help the HH and acid reflux)  I thought it was the gym. I then developed all over pain, muscle cramps & spasm, indigestion, pins and needles all over the place, bad sleeping patterns and many other things.  I had been bitten by a tick in June and dr suspected Lymes disease.  I've just finished a lengthy course of Doxycycline and felt worse at the end of it.  I've seen another GP today who has asked for blood tests for hormone levels (I'm 53) test for Lymes bacteria and, as he is pretty sure, a test for my magnesium levels.  He says there is a connection with long term use of Omperazole (PPI's) and lowered magnesium.  Although I feel so ill I also feel there is light at the end of the tunnel now.  Anyone else had this problem?  How long does it take to get better?  I truly havent felt this ill in years.  I have gone from going to the gym 3 or 4 times a week to dragging myself about the house and needing to sleep in the day.  Any advise would be gratefully received.  Thank you xx

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Wendy...............I had similarly puzzling symptoms.......I was only on a20mg daily for 18 months.I'm 70 yr old,.......gone from cycling up and down hill 10 mile daily,to being tired,feelings of numbness,not being able to walk a straight line.........Im guessing that my severe reactions were down to not being on too healthy eating habits.ie not enough vits and minerals to help stave off the lack of absorbtion caused by the omeprazole.

My docs were not revealing any knowledge of the common side effects which I only discovered on line.

I read on here that the omeprazole can cause innaccurate blood results too,so if that is the case ,it seems like a difficult situation.

Ive stopped the omeprazole for about 3months and am loads better...my strength is returning,dizziness/wobbly walk has gone and Im not suffering the pins and needles in head ,arms and legs now.

Having read what people have said Ive been supplementing with B12 B6 Magnesium Iron........all good now............fingers crossed!

As for the acid reflux I was prescribed the omeprazole for,.............I was muddling thru on gaviscon which was not perfect,when fate seemed to play a hand,,,,,,,,,,,I was diagnosed high strength anti inflamatory tabs for a chest injury/condition 3 weeks ago and it seems to have cleared the reflux!!...I perhaps have been suffering with inflamation of the oesophagous unknowingly.........so,perhaps sorted........for me anyway.........good luck to everyone else with the aforementioned problems..........best wishes..........G

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.