Massive weight gain and long term Omeprazole

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi all

I have been taking Omeprazole 40mg for 13 years now as I have barrets osephagus (not nice) as well as gord. over the past few years i have managed to put on 6 six stone, I have done slimming world, and and currently on an NHS programme, I keep a food diary, calorie check, and exercise regualrly, every morsel gets written down in its correct food group every day. I have cut calories from 2500 to 1500 per day for the past 6 weeks, increased exercise and lost 3 ilbs.eek

I have done some looking into forums and seen a definite link between long term users and weight gain, it is so demoralizing to have made such positive changes to my lifestyle and not see any rewards. 

Therefore I am going to stop taking my meds and wait and see what happens. My diet is so much healthier that I am sure it wont aggravate my condition anyway now.

If anyone is in the same situation please drop me a line.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

i have took losec for 17 years or so i managed to lose 11 stone over a year have read it can put weight on with some people hope you get sorted 
  • Posted

Interesting.... I'm on Omeprazol, never really had a weight issue, or worried about it... but the last few years I have been putting on weight.  Thought it was from the meds, haven't changed anything in my lifestyle (had a stroke 4 years ago)but after a pharmacy told me to check my meds with my GP as they weren't sure they were meant to be taken long term (can't remember if it was the omeprazol or other tabs) - so made a GP appointment.  Went to see my GP, said the pharmacy wanted to confirm it...he checked me over, and gave me a form to take to a hospital for other tests,  and made other checks.  One of which was my weight, he said I should try and loose weight (I didn't think I was THAT big..) - then I said I think the meds have helped with that, and he laughed, and said they didn't do anything like that.  

Pfffttt.  Don't like him anymore.... so been reading on here.  So your comment is verrrrry interesting.

• Posted

So pleased to see this discussion. I have had GERD for many eyars and was treated with Losec all those years. I always kept weight on no matter how hard I tried to lose it. About three years ago I had Nissan surgery which meant I no longer needed the Losec and the surgeon told me I would lose about 10kg. He was right I lost it quite quickly. Unfortunately the Nissan did not work and my reflux returned about a year ago. I started taking ranitidine but it wasn't really holding back the reflux. I was told I had to go back onto the losec and I started about 8 weeks ago. In that short time I have piled on 5kg and cannot stop it despite all that I do. I am really annoyed and upset about this. I also have Barrett's so cannot afford not to take the Losec as apparently it is gold standard for Barrets. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.