Mefenamic acid stopped my period?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I usually have 3-4 day long periods. However I suffer from really bad period pains, so recently I was prescribed mefenamic acid three times a day during my periods to lessen the pains.

This is the first time I've used them and on the first day of my period I took three pills as instructed. They worked like a charm - I hardly felt any pain, however now it seems my period has stopped (the day after). I took the three pills today as I assumed I should but I haven't been bleeding at all.

My periods are usually heavy so I was a little concerned, they are never this short.

Does anybody know why this has happened? Is it supposed to happen or is something wrong? Please help :S

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

hi, 'm miaimi ..

this waz not something to be anxious about and waz supposed to happen......................................................................... as, In addition to its general pain killing properties Mefenamic acid is also useful for heavy and painful periods. This is because period pain cramps are caused by the production of prostaglandins by the lining of the womb and prostaglandins production is known to be increased in women who suffer from heavy periods. By opposing the production and action of prostaglandins, mefenamic acid relieves period pains and also reduces blood loss in women who have heavy periods.......................

• Posted

Okay, thank you very much smile I just worry quite a bit when it comes to stuff like this. Your answer was very informative smile
  • Posted

you welcomee smile

• Posted

Hi... I have just started taking these and my periods have stopped. Did urs ever come back just after they stopped.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.