MTSS

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello, 

Long story unfortunately so please bear with,ive been dealing with serve leg pain since September 2017, hurts walking & exercising and when at rest, I got referred to a Physio who noted some tenderness in my back so was referred for a MRI on my back which showed a bulge in L5, S1 so started to treatment for that, but my legs never improved, I was then sent for a MRI in April 18 on legs which Showed Grade 3 MTSS in my left leg and Grade 2 on my right, i've been on some work rehab programme for my back and general fitness which has greatly improved and now signed back on work, for my legs I had all sorts of stretches, resting, ice, acupuncture, insole made to suit the way I walk by professional, no of this has worked for my legs, over the last 2 months my leg pain has ramped up causing pain doing exercises such as a non weighted squat legs fatigue easily, weakness, unfortunately for my job we sit a fitness test which is the bleep test 20m, I tried to sit it but within 5 minutes the side of my legs were like knives stabbing me and then legs couldn't go any faster or continue. 

The pain when resting eases over night then in the morning but doesn't take long for the to feel like they filled up or swelled up and cause pain down the interior of the leg both sides and cause tightness and weakness and fatigue in the leg, Even stairs cause my legs to fatigue easily

some bits about me Im Male 22, 175cm, 86kg, Im very active doing training everyday doing weights and non impact cardio apart from the one try of bleep test,(cycling/rowing again legs fatigue easily and pain sets in), My jobs role is a firefighter so again active job, but now I getting concerned that my leg pain is going to affect my job.

any thought queries, treatment and avenues I should explore

1 like, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi jonsey, the issues your facing don’t just go away and may even get worse. The injury to L5,S1 effect the legs. I suggest you seek a neurologist and ask for a nerve conduction test that show if you have nerve damage or if the bulge is affecting your muscles. Be very careful of the physical activities you participate in as your injuries? Or problems could be made worse and effect your activities and the quality of life long term as in chronic. Be persistent with your drs and if they aren’t able to help you seek those that specialize in pain management and neurology. You need to think of yourself as a warrior seeking and fighting for your best possible health and activity level. Caution is what you need to think about until you know for certain what you are dealing with. My best wishes are with you and I truly understand what you are facing and experiencing. Stay strong and listen to what your body is alerting you to!! 
  • Posted

Hi Jonesy i must say i totally agree with peonygirl. I Hurt my back at work lifting a client where i had the same kind of thing to my L4/5 S1 and to cut a long story short as i was on workers compensation my neurosurgeon had adviced them i needed to have surgery to fix my back problem. I had horrible excruciating pain in my left knee and also in my shins was so bad i would put a heat pack on my knee to the point i didnt know it was actually burning my skin.My legs also were fatigues and felt kind of like jelly and at times i felt them giving way on me. I was even walking with a walking stick and had a very bad limp. I finished up getting my surgery where i had 2 discs removed and replaced and a spinal fusion.The first thing i noticed after my surgery was the pain in my leg was completely gone. Please be very careful of all of this exercise and even physio that you are doing because if theres a problem there you could be doing severe nerve damage and you wont get that back.Good luck jonesy i hope you work this out i really feel for you

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.