Multiple joints pain for about 7 months no diagnosis all blood tests come back clear

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have chronic pain in pretty much every joint since this started I have got severe fatigue. The pain makes movement very limited and I find it very hard to do certain things, this has lead to a replace mentally and l know have fallen back into depression and my anxiety has gotten much worse.

I've had blood tests for literally everything which have all came back normal. I have started physio, as of now have had one sessions and have to do a few exercises everyday. If anyone has anything to suggest that may help then please don't hesitate to do so

0 likes, 27 replies

27 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

My suggestion to you is that you go see a rheumatologist. Joints are the rheumatologist area of expertise. I can think of several diseases that can cause painful joints. Two that come to mind that don't cause visual inflammation like rheumatoid arthritis does is fibromyalgia and Poly Malaysia Rheumatica. Fibromyalgia does not have a blood test for diagnosis but the doctor can do an exam and determine if you have that. PMR can be diagnosed with blood tests indicating inflammation. Now I know you indicated that you said you did not have the inflammation markers. But it is possible to have PMR without elevated markers. Also the disease is typically for people over the age of 50. But it is possible for it to inflict people below 30 years of age. The problem is convincing a doctor that both of these situations are possible especially if it is a doctor not well-versed in PMR. But one sure way to find out is to take a course of prednisone 15 to 20 milligrams and if your pain subsides within a day or two then it's a sure bet you have PMR. Whether it's either one of these diseases or another it is the rheumatologist's job to treat this whatever you have. So you I think your GP is doing you a disservice by not referring you right away.

• Posted

I was referred to the hospital a while ago, I seen a doctor there and they referred me to a rhumetoligist, I have only seen the rhumetoligists once and they have just referred me back to the doctor I seen before at the hospital as they decided that they didn't think there was rheumatalogical illness. I've seen a few doctors at my local doctor's surgery and once I seen my registered GP he referred me straight away and now gets any appointment under an emergency straight away and also frustrated that I haven't been given a diagnosis

• Posted

Can any of the 2 diseases you mentioned occur in children as I'm only 15

• Posted

No not very likely. I didn't realize you were that young. I can't believe you have gone through this much trouble and still have no diagnosis. And to be only 15. I have nothing else to share with you no other ideas. I assume you have regular menstrual periods. The only reason I'm asking is and this is pretty far-fetched but the problem might be hormonal. Your Ob-Gyn can run a test to tell if your hormones are level. In other words it will say what your levels of estrogen testosterone and progesterone are. That might give you a clue in that regard

I just had another idea and I don't know a thing about this disease really and so you might look it up but that's Addison's disease. It is a serious disease and it has to do cortisol levels. I don't know that it causes swollen joints but I do know it causes fatigue. I'm just spit balling here. (That means coming up with different ideas) that's all I've got for now. If I think of more I'll get back with you. Sorry I couldn't be more help.

• Posted

Thankyou for all your help and ideas! I'm going to try and find a bit more out about the things you have mentioned but there's not really a lot I can do. It's up to my doctor's at the end of the day

• Posted

Sorry for only just getting back with an update! Unfortunately I'm still no better if anything over the past couple of months my pains got worse, I'm now coming up to the year mark and I've started physio and I'm doing grades exercise therapy to try and help my pain, fatigue and build my muscles up again. I'm not to convinced this is actually doing anything however I do go on the Friday coming so hopefully will get some positive feedback.

I'm also of to the hospital to the see the doctor on the 8th and they still have come no closer to any kind of diagnosis and they do less every time I go (they're pretty much giving up) I haven't even been for 4 months I've been taken off all painkillers so well I wish it was more of a positive update on where I am but unfortunately not sad

• Posted

Hi hannah

Have you tried steroid injections to manage the pain ? It is very painful to receive but really helped me so far

I had a kidney stone last summer followed by 5 months of pain. Doctors thought the pains were urology related until I saw a rheumatologist who suspected an inflammation of the rib cartilage and he did these injections.

It's only been a few days but it has been life changing so far. I used to stuff myself with anti inflammatories, paracetamol and codeine, all maximum dose each day ! Now i started to decrease the painkillers and no relapse (episode of pain)

If it is really your joints that hurt, I strongly suggest you to see a rheumatologist and discuss steroids injections to at least relieve you until you get a proper diagnosis

Hope it will help

Good luck !

• Posted

I've seen rheumatologist however he referred me back to the doctor I had seen before (at the hospital) because he didn't think there is a rheumatological cause. I was on naproxen 250mg and then get stronger ones 500mg however these did nothing for the pain and my joints aren't visibly swollen so it's likely there's no inflammation so would steroid injections help still?

Also once I was taken off the naproxen I was told to just take ibuprofen and paracetamol (I was taking them at the very start before I seen a doctor) and although I have told them multiple times that they don't really help nothing has been done so that I can be given different painkillers

• Posted

Sorry for only just getting back with an update! Unfortunately I'm still no better if anything over the past couple of months my pains got worse, I'm now coming up to the year mark and I've started physio and I'm doing grades exercise therapy to try and help my pain, fatigue and build my muscles up again. I'm not to convinced this is actually doing anything however I do go on the Friday coming so hopefully will get some positive feedback.

I'm also of to the hospital to the see the doctor on the 8th and they still have come no closer to any kind of diagnosis and they do less every time I go (they're pretty much giving up) I haven't even been for 4 months I've been taken off all painkillers so well I wish it was more of a positive update on where I am but unfortunately not sad

• Posted

Hi hannah2802

So very sorry you are no further along with a diagnosis.....have you been checked for Ankolysing Spondylitis......this causes pain in joints and bones in particular lumbar part of spine.....and causes extreme fatigue...it can be developed at a young age.....ask your consultant to check you for the HLA-B27 gene.....this is a definitive diagnosis for AS......its worth investigating as nothing else is showing in your blood tests.....best wishes.:-)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.