Muscle twitching after covid vaccine

Posted , 4 users are following.

hi everyone, im a 34/yo healthy male my Mother had a bad reaction to the swine flu shot in 1976 (numbess, paralysis, pins and needles dropping things etc) she would later be diagnosed with MS fast forward 45 years and I received my 1st covid shot from Pfizer - I woke up 3 AM shivering and had a few aggressive whole body jerks felt uncontrollable yet controller at the same time - that was it - fast forward about 45 days and im having very fine muscle twitching all over my body (arm-leg-toe-lip-stomach etc) - i have always been very spascitic so im not overly concerned about that but the twitching i am because every search on it brings it to ALSand i know i shouldnt be self diagnosing and i dont have any of the symptoms of muscle loss or weaks ness but im absolutley terrified i couldnt sleep because i was so worried about - I have 3 young children and im just really worked up about this - made a Neuro appointment but cant get there till february 8 - I'm nervous - anyone similar experiences has it gotten better - thanks for reading

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Edited

I visited my neurologist a couple months ago because I was getting a weird sensation in my leg along with the muscle twitching all over. This is a top rated neurologist and he said to me that with ALS muscle twitching is not and initial symptom . he said there are no sensory symptoms in the beginning of that condition meaning that you won’t get muscle twitching, tingling, weird sensations, etc. he said the main first symptom is weakness in one or more of the arms and legs . so don’t worry about the twitching. Actually, I have had that on and off for over 30 years and I am perfectly healthy. Mine is related to my anxiety and stress.that’s why you really need to stop googling your symptoms. It’s not going to pertain to your individual situation and there is a lot of mis information out there. just take care of yourself the best you can. if your symptoms continue just let your doctor know about it. Not sure there’s much they can do. Hopefully it will resolve itself over sometime. Take care

• Posted

Hi Jerome. I totally relate to what you're going through, and maybe I can ease your fears a little bit.

I've had very similar symptoms of muscle twitching (fasciculations) and spasms, mostly in my legs, ever since my 2nd Covid vaccination (Moderna, in March 2021). Eventually, the fasciculations started waking me up every night, and my muscles have continued to spasm after the simplest exercise. By August the twitching had progressed to my forearms, and that's when I started getting really scared -- waking up at night worried that my whole body would start to spasm, or that my heart muscle would freeze up.

After my chiropractor told me that fasciculations can be an early sign of ALS, I went through a prolonged period of anxiety, waiting two months to see a neurologist. I had no choice but to do a lot of research on my own, and that's when I started seeing a connection between muscle twitching and heavy metal toxicity. I decided it couldn't hurt to remove toxic metals, so I started a chelation supplement programs with the help of a health practitioner. I have to say, that did help! The twitches subsided to a large extent, but after stopping the (expensive) supplements, they have now returned.

I finally saw the neurologist last Oct and again last month. After extensive blood tests that came back completely "normal" ... and muscle strength tests that proved no weakness ... my neurologist has confirmed that I do not have ALS or MS, or anything else that she can detect. She says the fasciculations are "benign" and will not hurt me. This was, of course, a great relief to hear, but after a full nine month of fasciculations I'm concerned that I will have to live with them.

Most recently, I'm making the connection with the vaccine, and worried about getting the booster shot for fear my symptoms will increase. It's troubling to hear that you and others have been having this same symptom after receiving one of the mRNA vaccines. I hope you get some relief after seeing your neurologist.

• Posted

Jerome - I want to add that I do get some relief from making sure I'm getting enough Calcium-Magnesium before bedtime .. and rubbing Magnesium lotion on my legs. It helps. I also avoid coffee and alcohol as much as possible. Also my neurologist found I was very low in vit B12 which is essential for nervous system so I take that too. But unlike you I am 66 years old. You may not need these things. Good luck managing your stress and finding what you need.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.