My experiences of stopping taking Lansoprazole

Posted , 85 users are following.

Hi,

Like everybody on here I take Lansoprazole for stomach problems.

There are lots of experiences on here of the side effects people get when taking them but;

What effects do people get when stopping taking it?

I think it would be very interesting to find out as I cannot find anything on the internet listing any effects the people have when stopping it and how long they last?

If you have any experience positive and negative could you reply here!

It may be useful to everyone.

7 likes, 129 replies

129 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I have been getting headaches like migraine but not as severe, few stomach aches but tolerable and also tired, hoping all this will pass in time
  • Edited

I have been on 30mg Lansoprazole for more years than I can remember for stomach acid/+ heartburn.

Within these years,I have had severe Constipation,and have been given quite a few meds for the constipation,(which clears it for a while ) but it always returns...

Just recently (about 3-4 weeks ago) I stopped taking them,(I believe the Lansoprazole made me constipated)

I told my doctor this,and doctor said...No....Lansoprazole did NOT cause it) doctor ,imo did not read the side effects of this drug...

I am Not saying this med effects everyone this way,it doesn't........but it effected me...

I am pleased this drug and it's Toxins are now leaving my body...in fact,now I am no longer constipated...

I now have a repeat prescription for Advanced/ Double Action Gaviscon for my acid tummy/heartburn...

I am so relieved,that I stopped taking this drug...

I get some stomach,and lower back aches at the moment, (withdrawal symptoms) but I reckon,they are caused by the Toxins waiting to leave my body,in a natural way...

I take No other medication,only one Capsule for High Blood Pressure per day...

I have had an Endoscopy,and I am waiting to see a surgeon end of November...for the outcome of that procedure...I am keeping fingers crossed that I do not have an ulcer,or whatever...

• Posted

Hi, I've been on Lansoprazol for 16 months, today I have come of it after experiencing excruciating pain in my stomach, I've been constipated for 3 months, my stomach feels like it's getting worse than when I started it. Initially I was taking it for Heartburn/indegestion/acid reflux. I have also got gastritis, but I have decided to fast, then totally change my diet, to a mostly alkali diet. I can't get any food down without severe pain, so ivd been on water and Buttermilk. I am also on Ramapril, for high blood pressure, hoping to come of that as well in the near future. A good probiotic would probably be better than medicines that cause suppression.

• Posted

Hi Poppysocks1,

I also got horrible constipation. I would take prune juice, or sometimes I would get of the PPI for a day or two until I pooped, and then got back on (crazy huh).

I'm completely off them now thank God. Went through awful withdrawl, paranoia , body jerks. Lasts a couple weeks.

Hope you had good results with the endoscopy!

• Posted

I had the severe constipation, too! I call BS about it not being a side effect. As soon as i stopped it the constipation went away entirely! Now if the heartburn, throat irritation and nausea would go away...

• Edited

Well I am glad that I am not the only one who differing symptoms. I have now been off lanzoprazole for 3 weeks and feel 100% better than I did on them. I have normal bowel reactions now and other than the odd stomach pain I am feeling really good. I have started reintroducing foods into my diet and can identify those that cause me problems, sadly its always the things you enjoy, however, at least I know what to avoid. I have also started exercising at least 4 times a week for an hour and half, - bought myself an indoor bike, really enjoy it and it seems to keep the system flowing much better when it comes to digestion, must say set a TV up in front of bike so I do not notice the time so much, it works and that's all that matters, sadly like others I also was told by my doctor not to stop taking them and that constipation was not due to lanzoprazole, all I can say is that who else knows their body better than you........ Good luck with those endeavouring to stop. Also to poppysocks1 I had endoscopy and they found initially that I had gastritis which was why I was put on the tablets in the first place, good luck with results hope all ok.

• Posted

Thanks mrsmo...

I will update after the surgeons appointment...and yes,I was put on them in the beginning because of the acid stomach,then they found a germ in my tummy Helicobacter Pylori... I had to have antibiotics for a while to get rid of it !!

Then doctor upped my dose of Lansoprazole from 15 to 30mg,,,and it has never been reviewed since in all those years of being on it,and twice admitted to hospital because of constipation...No one would listen to me,so I took it upon myself to cut them out completely...and as I have said bowel movements have returned to what I remember as near normal...

I have had a terrible time these past 6 months with pain in stomach,(build up of toxins I expect/maybe on top of the acid tummy.....

I have lost 2 stone 5lbs in the last few months also....this has been very noticeable...rather concerned about this actually...can't be due to coming off the medication ...as I have only been off them for about three weeks...

Good luck to you all coming off them if your thinking of doing so...take care... smile

• Posted

Sorry to hear about the weight loss and consistent pain it is very difficult for anyone to understand unless they gave experienced it. I really hope all goes well with the surgeon keep positive.
  • Posted

Can't be anything too serious mrsmo...else they wouldn't keep me a month before I am to see the surgeon ...would they !!

As I have said before keeping the acid / heartburn at bay with the double action Gaviscon...thanks for your support smile

I have Fibromyalgia and Osteoarthritis,and I don't think having the constipation has helped me at all,do you smile glad I am back to normal in that area...so pleased to be off the Lansoprazole,I am near on positive that is what was causing my predicament...take care smile

• Posted

Sorry to hear about the Fibromyalgia and Osteoarthritis these two alone you certainly do no need a stomach upset to add to it do you and constipation. I am sure you are right anything serious and you would have been called before now, take care and keep me informed.

• Posted

Yes,I will keep you updated mrsmo...but what ever it might be I shall not be putting myself on any of the prazoles ever again...I shall stay on the Gaviscon...smile take care,will speak again next month after I have seen surgeon...bye for now smile
  • Posted

I have posted some months ago on this site re stopping lanzoprazole, and now other than the odd irritation and certainly watching what I eat I am fine, it is worth the 'struggle' to stay off them I feel. I have found several different foods affect me so I keep off them, it was trial and error and still is to a degree but well worth it.

• Posted

I am in the same situation as you now mrsmo,and I also find it has been worthwhile coming off the Lansoprazole.

I also keep well away from any food that I believe will upset my stomach.I take the Gaviscon for any irritations now,it helps a great deal.

Since stopping this medication I am no longer constipated,which was the main reason I came off the tabs,doc,didn't believe it was this tab causing the constipation,so I proved her wrong,I also told her that constipation is/could be one of the side effects of taking this tab,and it was written on the leaflet in the packet,she still wouldn't agree,so I proved it.

Within a week I was getting rid of the toxins that were in my body,now I am back to normal and regular in that dept.

I am happy you are coping with your tummy upsets,take care.

• Posted

Forgot to add mrsmo,

After seeing the surgeon a couple of weeks ago,he was concerned about my weight loss,and sent me for blood tests and a CT Scan, Thorax Abdomen and Pelvis,I am now waiting for the results of the scan etc.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.