My legs feel like i cannot walk another step

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have arthritis in my l4 and l5 and on pain medicine for that. in the last 3 months my legs have started feeling like i've ran a marathon and can't walk another step. It's gotten so bad i can barely do my job and now my upper arms are starting to feel that way. My doctor seems to think it's from my back condition but it seems like something totally different. It is getting really bad. walking up any stairs is almost imposible i have to stop and rest halfway up.

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Hello pamela,

I am the same, have arthritis right down spine and scoliosis - double 'S' ,  my arms have been so bad at times I am unable to make a cup of tea, my legs are just won't carry me.   I do have arthritis in other joins so the pain seems to be a mix of joint pain and muscle pain with weakness thrown in.  I am told all this comes from my back and am given pain relief meds.

I am retired so work is not an issue, all I can suggest for yourself is to keep going to your Dr because you are becoming unable to do your job and if you are self dependant you need it to support yourself.   Do you get cramp like feelings or muscle spasms?   I do and used to take a muscle relaxer which was great, I was taken off it though after over 30 yrs on it and life has been bad ever since.

Sorry I can't offer help, can only say  I am the same.  I would though if I was of working age keep on at the Drs,  this is not how life should be lived ... survived  it feels like at times.  

Warmest regards

Jessie x

• Posted

I am on pain meds but they don't help with the arms and legs. It is like they are so weak i have to stop every so many steps and lifting my arms has become just as bad. My work is always on my feel. I'm losing everything because I can't work to support myself. Trying for disability but that takes time . Thax for your reply was starting to think i was crazy see my doc in a few days will talk to him again
    • Posted

I saw  my doctor 2 days ago he looked at my MRI and said my back and arm problem have nothing to do with my back and he is referring me to a neurologist to see if they can figure it out. I am constantoly on my feet at my job always in motion I have went from 55 hours a week to 15 so I do still get exercise but there are times when I can't walk another step . Counting on this new doctor to figure it out. I also have graves disease so that may contribute to the problem. Find out soon I hope. Thanks for your reply haope you have a Merry Christmas  and are well. Pamela
    • Posted

Hello pamela,

pleased you have been able to eliminate back problems and are being refered on,  the Graves disease,  could be that - one of the problems is muscle weakness.    It must be awful for you to have had to reduce your hours at work so much and still feel as though you can't go an other step,  I do feel for you and hope it is not long before you see the neurologist.  

Meanwhile you have Christmas,  I don't know if that is good or bad for you,  the rest from work will help but you may have a lot of other things to see to in it's place.  Stress and other problems to deal with. 

Thinking about the Graves,  I have heard of an ailment something like Graves Myethenis??   sorry,  my mind won't always give me the word I want,  will have a look in google or on here to see if there is a connection, if it is maybies a part of it,  it is something to do with muscles I know that,  if it is and your Dr is already treating you for the Graves it could maybe mean a tweak in the medication you take.  Dr's are so busy these days they can sometimes have a memory lapse as to what you already have,  it may just have slipped his mind ....   it is something you could chat with him about though,  jog his memory and get his thoughts.

I hate this weakness Pamela,  it is very debilitating,  for you it must be terrible.

I do hope you can get some rest over the holiday time, relax as well if it's possible.  I hope you have someone to share this time with and have the house problem taken care of,  worries upon worries,  not good at this time of year.

I am pottering on thankyou,  have a very quiet Christmas, just another day for me really - hope there is something worth watching on the tv !

You take good care of yourself,  hope you have good Christmas - as possible - rest and relax.

Warmest regards

Jessie xx

ohh yes,  I will look up that Mythas? Gravis?   will let you know if I find anything that may be of interest or give you some answers xx

• Posted

Hello Pamela,

I googled the ' MYASTHENIA GRAVIS'   it is often associated with Graves Disease, both are auto-immune diseases and the Myasthenia is more frequent in patients who have Graves - the coexistance of the two are well recogised.

Have a look yourself, there is so much information to be found,  I know it is not always a good idea to be doing self analysis via google and can be a bit scary, but,  in this instance I think it would be worth you having a look and seeing if there are other symptoms and pointers that you can relate to.   If you do think yourself that there is too many coincidental symilarities make an appointment to get back to your Dr sooner than waiting for the physio to get in touch with him,  or,  have you told your physio that you also have the Graves disease..?   he could push for you to get back to the Dr,   it could be a while before you get to see the neurologist,  I would not be waiting that long ...............    

I hope  I am not alarming you,  hope you look it up for yourself,  I hope you get answers soon Pamela.

Look after yourself,   let me know how you get on,   I will be thinking about you and hoping you are ok ............

Warmest regards .... and a Christmas hug.....

Jessie xx

• Posted

Hello Jessie

i am SO pleased I found this discussion,  I'm 35 with 2 children and also have a double s scoliosis,  however over the past week I've been having terrible lower back troubles in that it feels like I'm having an epidural in my spine with radiating pain to my pelvis and hips!! I also have numbness in my legs and feet and sometimes they feel so heavy like I'm going to be paralysed it scares me so much!! I'm being referred to the consultant but is a 2 month wait its ridiculous!! Life is so miserable in constant pain it's depressing,  and time off from work !  Xxx 

• Posted

Hello sarah,

so sorry you are feeling so miserable, this time of year and you having two children must make it extra harder for you - you will be feeling as though you have to be at your best for the children and making christmas so special for them,  not easy at all when you are in pain and have the numbness and heaviness.  I hope when you see the consultant you get some decent answers and help.  It all brings so many worries for the future,  hope work is being understanding - not putting any pressure on your about returning before you feel able. 

I am in my 60s so my time is my own, have had problems for years but never got answers other than it's all coming from your back and nothing can be done about that, the arthritis is degenerative and expect it to get worse.....  gee thanks !  A few years back I had a bad fall, couldn't walk and that was so scary, got put on Fentanyl patches which are good for pain relief but not so good with side effects and getting used to them, then a couple of years back I was taken off Diazepam,  I took it for muscle spasms,  it was great, really helped,  since then I have never had so much pain in my life, Dr's are not interested and I feel as though it is due to my age mostly.........  I rambled, point I am trying to get to is don't be fobbed off Sarah, you are so young and have so many years ahead of you, and your children to care for, you need to have your health,  keep on at your Dr until you get sorted out,  keep reminding him about your children and how much you need to be well for them.   I hope you have a husband / partner and other family support around you and that they are understanding.   With long term problems people who are in good health can sometimes find it hard to understand what a struggle it is, and how tiring and worn out you can feel when you are constantly battling with pain.

It is good to be able to come on here and give vent to your feelings to people who understand,  is sad that there are so many living a life of pain but at least we know we are not alone.   

Wishing I could help more,  I hope you have a good Christmas holiday, are able to relax a bit and get some respite from the pain. 

Warmest regards

Jessie xx

• Posted

Hi Pamela;  not sure if anyone has mentioned trialing some Magnesium supplements......I have been taking these for many months and do feel that the weakness and spasms are less.....Magnesium is essential for cellular activity, and also good for our bones, as I, too have OA in many joints.  If there is a problem with sleeping due to this "ache/weakness", I also wear tubigrip on legs and arms to stop this feeling (you can get same from a physio/pharmacy)....this is usually used to increase circulation, and as all know we do not have an issue with circulation, but does Really help........I even wore same under slacks when I was still able to work, and same on arms.....they are not always the most attractive things to wear, but do help.............so hoping that this/these suggestions help?.........Bron
  • Posted

Oh my gosh. I suffer from such leg pain that I will just stop and go to the floor. I start crying from the pain. I think I will end up in a wheel chair. My reumy told me to try compression hose. I just couldn't do it at first. Then I finally did. They helped alot! It helped the circulation. I only wear them when my legs are bad. Also my doctor ordered a Dopler test with checks your blood flow and if you have any plaque or clots. Its an ulra sound like test so its not painful. I hope this is helpful. I know how debilitating this can be.
    • Posted

I do wear compression socks an they help some but now it has gone to my arms. I havent been able to work . i lost my home this week. It feels as if my life is over. I will tell my doc about the tests you mentioned maybe he can figure something out. Thax
    • Posted

I am so sorry about your house. I lost mine too because of my overwhelming medical bills. Its just not fair is it. Believe me it somehow gets better. I never thought it would happen to me but it did please have faith. My husband got a call from his boss 3 years ago the day after Christmas and let him go. I went into the worse flare of my life. I hope you able to talk to you doctor about the test. Do you think your legs get worse when the weather changes or you are under lots of stress?

• Posted

I,m under more stress than I ever have been in my life, i'm normally a positive smileing upbeat person but this is getting to me and has changed me. I will talk to my doctor. Weather has nothing to do with it, its all the time now. Had to miss work again tonite I pray I don't lose my job. I am my only supporter my family has passed away . I just keep trying
    • Posted

I'm sorry.You said your pain was constant. Of course the weather had nothing to do with it. My mistake. I can't imagine not having any family. I hope you have friends or someone close to you to talk to. I wish I could help you in some way. You definitely have too much on your plate. Will say a special prayer for you. God bless you.

Kristyk

• Posted

Hi Pamela; am just catching up on some of these forum inputs:  as you have mentioned that the stockings help, there are 2 other things that I use....one being Tubigrip (which is very similar to Support Stockings, as it, too, increases the circulation, and can be worn on arms as well....you can buy this from pharmacies/physios.....the other thing that most of we Fibro sufferers (or anyone with weak muscles use/take) is Magnesium supplements.....they are known to increase the cell activity.....I also take a "combination of vitamins" which are found in many forms, added  to my Drink Bottle/Water Bottle each day.............am wondering, too, have you ever been seen by a Rhuematologist?   You mention that you have Arthrites, and perhaps, you have also developed something else as well....there are so many other Auto-immune conditions that go along with Arthrites:  perhaps a re-visit/visit to same may be of help to you?  ....hoping that this maybe of help...........Bron
  • Posted

Hello pamela,

so sorry to read you have lost your home,  that must me be dreadful, I hope you have friends that can help you or someone to turn to for immediate support.  I know my pain is spasm related which comes from my back,  meds are available depending on other factors.  Has your Dr had xrays mri or cat scan done to see if your spine is being nipped anywhere,  be it by slipped disc or osteophyte growth?   there are conditions which can cause the spinal canal to be reduced and this can impinge on the nerves causing pain,  ask if you can be refered to a consultant,  either rhumatoid or osteo,  I am sure he could also give you something to help relax you as well.  I was once on an antidepressant that is used to help people with arthritis,  can't think of the name, well it had two different names and I can't think of either just now - my memory is getting bad !  Your Dr should /  I hope can give you something to get relief.   Dothipen or Dothepin ...  that was one name,  no good for me but it seems it works for some.

There are so many things that can come from damage to the spine I hope your Dr can get you to the right consultant and get this sorted out for you soon,  it does get you down badly,  my arms being bad made me so depressed,  I felt totally useless and could at times do nothing, not even get a cup of tea or even use my laptop,  exercise has helped me the most, walking is very painful and a real struggle but I forced myself to walk everyday,  it helped,  same with the arms but mine may be from a different cause?? ....   I do feel for you though and know how utterly despondent it can make you feel.   Hope you get help soon to feel better.    Just a thought,  have you stopped taking any meds before this started?

Warmest regards

Jessie x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.