My mother has sarcoidosis in lungs, what should she do?

Posted , 2 users are following.

My mother, 62 yrs, has been suffering from sarcoidosis since last 5 yrs. She was responsing well to the inhaler given to her by her doctor, which she was supposed to take 2 times a day. Of late, during the tests, it was found out that the lung capacity has again gone down. But given her lung condition, the Dr was very much inclined for the prednisolone oral dose. The Dr then prescribed prednisolone 20 MG for first 2 weeks followed by 10 MG for next 2 weeks and 5 MG at the end. The probelm with my mother is she is sensitive to certain category of medicines and steroids is one of them. Within 2 days of starting with prednisolone, her throat choked and she is now barely able to speak along with high fever & cough

1) Could this be a side effect or allergic reaction to prednisolone?

2) If not prednisolone, what else can she try considering the fact that she is allergic to many things? 

3) She also has Uveitis in her eyes for which she takes prednisolone eye drops from time to time. The Uveitis is preventing her to have an operation for cataract which is growing.

4) Is there any alternative to prednisolone?

Lot of questions but I have been very very sad and feel helpless seeing her suffer so much sad

Any help or similar expereinces from people would be moral boosting.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

The situation sounds serious.

I think you need to talk to the doctor urgently

I feel this is a matter for the doctor rather then members of this site

I wish you luck, I hope it all works out well.

Regards

Tangles

• Posted

Hello tangles. Thank you for your concern. Well the news is mother has recovered. Was on antibiotic for the thorad infection and fever has gone away. The only issue left is her spirometry test showed that the lung capacity has further gone down...!!! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.